Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

90mm for a Super Graphic?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AFSmithphoto

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: 90mm for a Super Graphic? Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I recently got myself a Super Graphic and I love it. I'm looking into getting a wider lens for it because I gravitate towards wider angles and also I use it with a 6x9 back.
I want something that is sharp with at least fairly generous movements.
I was thinking about the Schnieder Angulon F8, though I suspect that it may be a little large to mount on a graphic folder. Does anyone have any thoughts on what other lenses I might consider?
Les

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the Super Graphic doesn't have linked rails inside the body, so if you want accurate (as opposed to push-pull) focus anything you get needs to be in a helical mount. Graflex did sell them (they came from Schneider that way. Not sure about the 90mm SA, but I kknow the 47mm SA and the 65mm SA did.
AFSmithphoto

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind the push-pull focus at all. Just curious if the 90 f8 is to bulky to be a good match for the graphic, or too hard to mount in a graphic lens board.
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 90mm f8 Super Angulon in cpoal 0 or equivelent will fit the lens board, just clear the throat of the bellows and allow minimal movements as the body will interfere about the same time the bellows reaches its limits.
AFSmithphoto

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks. Also, nice tag on your posts. I couldn't agree more.
RichS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about 'bubbles' or even the 90mm Angulon, but 90mm is 90mm with just about any lens and this focal length works just fine with a Super. You can even get a cam for the RF. No problems with the rails or infinity stops, except for one minor thing. The stop on the left side (from back of camera) has to be a "half stop". It does not have the rear screw or place for it so it doesn't interfere with the RF arm mounted on the rail.

I believe a 75mm would work with a Super but have yet to try it because mine is mounted on a 4x4 flat board. A 65mm almost works. I have a Super with about a half an inch of the rear rails chipped away. With this portion of rail missing, the front standard will just catch the front focusing rails at a position far enough back to focus a 65mm. It's touchy but does work. No cams available for the 65mm though...

So any 90mm that fits the lens board and through the front standard would work just fine even with the rangefinder. The bigger 'hour glass' designs probably would not allow closing the cover though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: