Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Filters for Optar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CharlesC

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2001 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 135mm Optar f/4.7 and I would like to be able to use my 52mm filters with a step-up ring. The Optar looks like it has threads in the front. Does anyone know what size/pitch these threads might be?
Fishhead

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2001 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have wondered myself.
I use a push-on type ring with hood.

I then use Series VI filters.

________
Honda Nighthawk specifications

Last edited by Fishhead on Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Henry

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2001 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Series VI thread is 44mm, so one option is to acquire the appropriate size Series VI slip ring for the 135 f4.7 Optar (I think it's 38mm) and then use a 44-52 step ring with your 52mm filters. My guess is that it's going to be a lot easier to find a Series VI 38mm slip ring (camera show) than to find a step ring that will fit whatever those front element threads are on the Optar, which in any case are probably not intended for filters but to hold the front element retaining ring in place.

[ This Message was edited by: Henry on 2001-05-15 11:49 ]
CharlesC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI
I have searched ‘lo these many months and I’ve found hen’s teeth, side-saddles for bulls, haystack needles; I’ve even gotten a lead on chickens with nuggets, but I haven’t found a 44-52mm step-up ring. What I have found is a series VI to series VII step-up ring and a series VII to 52mm adapter ring. Looks good on GG, no vignetting, but the proof will be in the negative.
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to your local hardware store and buy, or use a venier caliper that has a metric scale on it. Measure the inside of the lens opening at the center. This will give you the first figure in your quest and there is usually only one therad pitch per size in lens. IE 30.4 might be considered 30mm or 31mm but its much closer than ??. I also leave one or two calipers out of package at work as I get tird of repackaging them then having 3 or 4 repackaged ones.

Charles

hmartin@tns.net

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use series filters on four of my LF lenses. My 135mm 1:4.7 lens uses a Kodak Series VII Adapter Ring 1 11/16" (42.5 mm). So it may be easier to jump directly to Series VII and avoid S. VI entirely. Lens maker Schneider-Kreuznach. I found all the adapter rings I needed on eBay. Harry

P.S. Search the whole Photo Site on eBay, those Series VII (7) adapters could be anywhere!

[ This Message was edited by: hmartin@tns.net on 2002-02-01 12:27 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: