Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Standard lenses: the Dagor 10cm f6.3cm - feedback anyone?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
R_J

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Standard lenses: the Dagor 10cm f6.3cm - feedback anyone? Reply with quote

I gather this lens covers 6x9cm format and probably derived from a dismantled folding bellows camera in a Compur shutter. It looks like it can mount directly on to a Graflex Century 2x3 lensboard.

Has anyone any experience with shooting with this lens?
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RJ, take another look, it is probably f/6.8.

I have no experience with Goerz Dagors, have 210/6.8 Boyer Beryl and 210/7.7 Beryl S, both Dagor types. They're quite good.

I doubt that your 100/6.8 was intended for 6x9. There's considerable disagreement about Dagors' coverage -- if you search around on Q. T. Luong's LF forum you'll find a long and hilarious thread on the topic; it was initiated by landarc -- and sharpness. When the Dagor were new the usual claim was 85 degrees at f/22. Boyer made that claim for their Beryl too, but one of my friends who has the Beryl prescriptions and has evaluated the lenses tells me that 70 degrees is more realistic.

If I had your lens I'd try it out.

Dagors that short are uncommon so yours may well have some value.

Cheers,

Dan
R_J

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan,

I've double checked and it is definitely a 10cm f6.3 lens by CP Goertz of Berlin [Anastigmat]. I think it must have been pulled from a broken vintage folder ... like a Tenastigmat from a Goerz Tenax - nothing else seems to explain its origin since it is virtually the size of a button lens. An f6.8 would really push my tolerance for focussing a Century.

Unfortunately the shutter is completely packed in. This is one reason why I haven't tried it. I would have to service the lens, which I have reservations over, being a Compur design. Already, the 105mm Ektar and 10cm Heliar lenses on the Century have been reliable and characteristic, both having wider apertures than the Dagor.

Thanks for the thread link. I've just registered with QT Luong's site. Not finding it in the search engine though. This Dagor is so small I doubt it can have much value
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RJ, count reflections. If really f/6.3 it can't be a Dagor, is more likely one of Goerz' many dialytes.

Dialytes have four strong reflections, no weak reflections, on each side of the diaphragm. Dagors have two strong, two weak.

Check. I was once sold a pup of an f/6.8 Goerz lens by a seller who insisted that it was a Dagor. He was mistaken. The individual wasn't sharp enough to have lied, alas.
R_J

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

I must have double vision. I count 5 reflections, but the lighting here is triple-bulb chandelieresque. Need to try again.

Will check again although all indications so far suggest that this was a medium format marketed lens which was ripped off the bellows and carcass.

I think I'll leave it, unless a similar Compur 00 shutter appears and the front and rear elements can be transplanted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: