Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crown Graphics Ground Glass Cleaning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phillipLF

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:38 am    Post subject: Crown Graphics Ground Glass Cleaning Reply with quote

Having just bought my first large format camera, I have a question about cleaning my ground glass. Firstly, I'm not sure I have my ordering or nomenclature correct; when I look through the viewing hood there are two plates of glass, the first is the ground glass, the second is the Fresnel lens?? Regardless, the second plate, the glass that is closest to the bellows, appears to have rust spots. I do not see rust elsewhere on the camera. I assume that this should be removed. However, what kind of cleaner do I use and should I be wary of taking this apart or putting the two pieces back together? It seems like I should be able to clean the plate without separating the two - is that advisable?

Thank-you,
Phillip
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Philip,
Welcome to the world of Graflex Graphic cameras.
The site's help board has a search feature which will give you some results that are right to the point once in a while and a lot of tangents the rest of the time, try it sometime, but first;
1. there is a Pacemaker Service manual available for download at http://www.southbristolviews.com/ under the Graflex Manuals link. It will tell you how to remove/reinstall the ground glass and Ektalite Field Screen.
2. Basically remove the focus hood by releasing the spring loaded retainer clips on each side of the focus hood. Remove the ground glass retainer clips by removing the two screws in each and lifting them out. Then lift the ground glass and ektalite field screen sandwich out of the focusing frame.
3. In a sink or wash pan mix some warm water and dish soap such as Dawn and insert the ground glass and ektalite field screen. Rub gently with your finger tips only both sides of the ground glass and ektalite field screen and on the ektalite field screen rub with the ridges and not across them on the ridged side. Handle by the edges only once they are clean and rince in warm water. Mix a final rince of 1/2 galon of water with 5 to 10 drops of PhotoFlow and rince each piece and allow to air dry while standing on edge. (elimates waterspots)
4. Once dry install the ektalite field screen into the focus panel with the smooth side toward the lens and the ridged side to the rear of the camera then install the ground glass with the frosted (etched) side toward the lens and the smooth side to the rear of the camera. Reinstall the retainer clips and screws tightening the screws slowly and equal number of turns to equalize the pressure on the glass. Over tightening or uneven pressure can crack the ground glass.
5. Enjoy the brighter image!
Charles
phillipLF

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank-you, Charles. The owner of the store where I was buying the Photo-flo offered to take a look at my ground glass. He thought that there was quite a lot of fungus on the glass (none elsewhere) and suggested that I just buy a new GG, from a regular Ebay seller of GG, I believe. I have yet to take a look around Ebay, but I'll probably go this route. Thank-you for the links!

-Phillip

p.s. any suggestions on whether I should buy a plain glass, or one with the lines?
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just add a little bleach to the wash water and clean up the current one and use it until member RangeMaster can supply you with a piece of his quality gorund glass.
http://www.satinsnowglass.com/
I put a piece in my "Little Kodak"(*) and it is very nice plus there are grid templates you can download and put on your gg if you want them.
*Little Kodak is an 8x10 kodak commercial view model B
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: