Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

shortest cam for a Pacemaker 45?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Les

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:31 am    Post subject: shortest cam for a Pacemaker 45? Reply with quote

What's the shortest cam for a 4x5 Pacemaker?

I know I had a 90mm

But did they go shorter than that?
ImageMaker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: shortest cam for a Pacemaker 45? Reply with quote

Les wrote:
What's the shortest cam for a 4x5 Pacemaker?

I know I had a 90mm

But did they go shorter than that?

Maybe -- there'd be no point in a shorter cam for a Pacemaker Speed, since 90 mm is about the shortest lens that will focus to infinity with the focal plane shutter, but the Crown can accept about 25 mm shorter lenses, so it's *possible* there may be cams for lenses as short as 65 mm -- or you might be able to make one for a particular lens in that range.
RichS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why people say the 90 was the shortest lens that will work on a Speed? A 65mm works just fine on mine...

Let's see...

The 1964 catalog lists a 65mm Super Angulon f/8 in a #00 Compur shutter for the Crown and Speed: Cat.No. 9724

I see the cam listing on graflex.org only goes down to 86mm? Unfortunately, the catalogs don't list individual cams...
Les

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there's a mechanical limit to the rangefinder and it seems to be around 90mm. B&L made an 88mm and 86mm isn't too far from that.
RichS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There wouyldn't be a lens/mechanical limit to the TRF or Super which use cams. It would only depend on where the front standard would sit on the rails. Infinity is always at the same position for the cammed RF. Then the slope of the cam follows the focal length of the lens. At extremes, there would be a limit to the amount of focus available to the cam as the slope would either be almost a straight line for the long lens and a huge drop for the short one. But since a 65mm moves so little, I would have no doubts that a cam would allow the full range of focusing.

An interesting example is the cam I have for the 380 tele lens. Sure, the cam works great with the lens. The only problem is that with the rails all the way back for infinity, the lens can't be set out far enough away from the rear. So some special adapter must have been made to allow it's use. Maybe a simple extended lens board as it only misses by about a quarter inch (maybe a half?).

The 65 may be a bit too close to the rear to allow seating on the movable rails to focus, but the cam would work just fine. A recessed lens board would fix this revrse problem. The cam and RF would still work fine.

I have used the 65mm on my Pacemaker Speed but long ago enough that I don't remember the details. I'm pretty sure it worked on the focus rails though. I could always dig it out and set it up to check. That's not a TRF camera though... I do have a TRF around but I always forget if it's a Speed or Crown? I never did like the way the cam was inserted in that camera and never used it. They did a great re-design for the Super as far as cam usage goes.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, Rich, I use short (38, 44, 47, 58, 65) lenses on my 2x3 Pacemaker Speed. All make infinity with the front standard on the inner bed rails. I've never tried to set it up for one of them, but I doubt a Kalart can be made to work with any of them. But the thing is, since Pacemaker's inner and outer bed rails are linked, if the top RF measures extension off the inner rails, as the Kalart does, it ought to work with the bed dropped. What am I missing here?

Cheers,

Dan
RichS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay Dan, this pushed my curiosity to the limits and I dragged out the TRF camera. Of all things, it turned out to be a Speed so it will answer all questions, maybe...

I had no idea because I simply couldn't remember. I've been using the Super too long.

The TRF Pacemaker Speed does have the linked rails all the way back into the box. So yes, there's no problem whatsoever in using the 65mm on the focusing rails.

I only did a quick infinity adjustment so I could be off a little bit here.

The 65mm on a flat lens board leaves almost a half inch of rearward travel of the front standard on the rails. plenty of room for an even shorter lens! It's also a good half an inch from the link itself so dropping the bed is also no problem. I know I have one lens where the front has to be dropped before the front standard is positioned because it sits too close to or on top of the links...

So, the 65mm will work just fine on a standard lens board on a TRF Speed. No problems whatsoever, except in finding a cam!

This is the 65mm f/8 Super Angulon by the way.

And that may be closer to a quarter inch behind the front stadard, not a half?
C. Henry

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Dan Fromm"]Um, Rich, I use short (38, 44, 47, 58, 65) lenses on my 2x3 Pacemaker Speed. All make infinity with the front standard on the inner bed rails. I've never tried to set it up for one of them, but I doubt a Kalart can be made to work with any of them.

Dan;
I have a Leitmeyr f6.8/65 lens that I use occasionally on my 2 x 3 Pacemaker Speed. With the front standard in the storage position on the rails, infinity focus comes in with the rails at about the 50' mark for the 101 Ektar so the Kalart should be able to be set up for that lens and possibly even for your 58, but I doubt if it would be worth the effort, unless the short lens was the only one that was going to be used!

C. Henry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: