Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I can hardly believe it!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject: I can hardly believe it! Reply with quote

A few months after I joined this group I purchased a Goertz Dagor in Compound Dial Set shutter. The front element group was starting to experence balsam deteration resulting in a medium-light white haze in the lens. After a few post a few members finally broke my mental block and described the lens configuration to me.
I removed the cells from the barrel, heated them, but never got the cemented elements to seperate as I did not want to over heat it and damage it worse. I have comtemplated recementing the cell now that I have a better understanding of the process but never got around to doing it.
The lens/shutter has been in a insulated bag (like a lunch/ can cooler type) along with several other lens for about 5 years. Although I have taken it out of the bag several times when getting another lens out I have not unraped it until tonight when I took it out to use the shutter as a template to describe operation of dial set shutters in another post and to my suprize, the elements are crystal clear!
Gona have to load up the "Little Kodak" (8x10 commercial view) and go shoot with it.

I guess the warm storage has restored the balsam.
JoePhoto

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an Aero Ektar that was experiencing some seperation (I forget if it was the front or rear group) but I was able to get the cells apart by leaving them in acetone (in a sealed dish) for about a week. Everyday I'd check the level of the acetone and I could see the balsam slowly disappearing from the outer edge in until they just came apart. I recemented with a UV curing sement from Summers Optical it it now looks fine.
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which cement did you use? UV-69, UV-74, or another.
Charles
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an old Conley anastigmmat that came in a box-o-crap. It had a very bad rear element. I soaked it apart in a jar of lacquer thinner. I'm awaiting delivery of the new UV cure cement from Edmunds Optics. J-91, I believe it is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: