Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using VC Papers with a Graflarger?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graflite

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2001 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My knowledge of the Graflarger is that the Arista Cold Light Grid does not produce the same response as does a tungsten light source in variable contrast B & W papers, but some people have had some success printing on VC papers, but with a shift towards lower contrast in the prints.

In the past I have used Kodabromide (and lately Kodabrome) graded papers for printing under the 4 x 5 Graflarger, and with my developing regimen, generally used a Grade 2, and sometimes a 3 for printing.

My question to the group is: has anyone had any success with VC papers and VC filters (Kodak Polymax, for instance) using the Graflarger, I have the 150 x 150mm (6 x 6 inch) Polymax VC filters and thought about trimming them to fit in the Graflarger 4 x 5 negative carrier and laying the filter on top of the negative in order to print on VC papers (probably Polymax for now).

Also I opened the box that contains the Arista Cold Light Grid array and looked at the color of the inside of the box, and in my Graflarger the color is a very off white (almost tannish white) and I wondered if this was for a reason, as the Cold Light tubes are coated with what appears to be a protective plastic film that has an off white cast to it also.

What I am working up to is, I had thought of repainting (either flat or glossy white) the inside of the light box including the back piece that the Arista Cold Light Grid array is affixed to and wondered what I might expect in the way of a change in the color temperature in regards to printing on VC papers.

Repainting the inside of the box with a brighter white would certainly brighten the output of the Graflarger, but I wonder what effect it would have on using VC papers as I mentioned above.

My apologies for a long post, but I wanted to cover all the details to aid others in answering my post, and I thank you in advance for any help that you might offer, I am always grateful for any knowledge that this forum can provide to myself and others.

Les

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2001 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this isn't from direct Graflarger experience, but from experience with materials from the same period.

My guess is both the plastic cover of the tube and the background was bright white when new. Age has yellowed them (and mellowed the contrast)

New paint would help, but the hazzard of removing the tube may not be worth the risk.

There was a guy a few years back marketing his own High energy Par lamps, I think the name was David White. Anyway he also sells a particular type of very matte white spray paint for some of his accessories. He claimed a 95% reflection with no glare, and it was a neutral white.

While repainting the interior would certainly gain a little contrast, It would still be something less than tungsten.

Maybe it would be easier to use a contrastier developer?
R.H.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2001 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I can help, but in my experience I've had success with a 2.5 or 3 Kodak polycontrast filter with Ilfords Multigrade 3 RC Rapid MGR.5M.
wolvertone

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2002 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Ilford developing chemicals and it instructs to increase the developing time if using a cold light head.

Based on A Adams and the Zone, increasing developing time increases the highlights, thereby increasing contrast.

The adjusted times are printed on the label.

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: