Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heiland/Honeywell Strobonar 91B

View previous topic :: View next topic  
journ2arch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought the above piece of equipment for $2.50 (plus shipping) on eBay. And amazingly, it works, sort of.

It's an electronic flash from, I'm guessing, the mid-'50s, with a huge power pack and a separate flash head. The powerpack is sort of meniscus-lens-shaped, about 8.25'' x 3.5'' and 9'' deep, covered in fake tweed contact paper.

The flash head fits on a Graflite battery case, which is why I was so keen to get one. That and the fact that I have a photocopied chapter on using the press camera from an old Navy manual and the electronic flash that is shown is the Strobonar 91B.

The flash head looks like the same as the Strobonar II and III shown on page 406 of the 9th edition of "Graphic Graflex Photography."

The flash is AC and battery and, once I jury-rigged a replacement for the missing AC cord, it works fine on house current with a recycle time of 3.5 seconds. The original batteries were missing, but I bought an original user's manual that says it took 6 Ni-Cad D cells -- and that regular flashlight cells will work in a pinch.

Indeed they did, for a time, taking 17 seconds to recharge the flash. On battery power, the unit hums loudly. I'm guessing that's the vibrator. Then, a couple of days later, it wouldn't work on DC, even though the batteries are still good. I'm not sure whether to leave well enough alone and just use it on AC (it is heavy) and maybe find or make some other, lighter portable power pack -- or go into the thing (yes I know about capacitors and scary voltages; in fact I tested this with a VOM and this flash puts out more than 800 volts when it flashes) and try to fix it. After all, Ni-Cad D cells are available at my local Radio Shack.

By the way, on full power, the flash seems to have a guide number of about 100 for ISO 100 Polaroid film.

Just thought I'd share what I know about this gem. Maybe someone has some additonal information (or a maintenance manual or schematic) they could share.
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Strobonar IIa with the heavy power pack. I cured a multitude of problems I was having while repairing it by burnishing the contacts in the relays. That restored intermittent DC operation (uses a 4-volt wet cell) and the charging capability. Fred.
journ2arch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your help.
journ2arch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your help.
clnfrd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some info on the 91A, which should be about the same as the 91B. Check your Private Messages..
f8nbether

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also recently acquired a Heiland Honeywell 91B. It all seems to work fine but I have a question I hope someone can answer. The power pack has separate outlets for 100 and 200 watt seconds, at what point can one safely switch between the two? Does the unit have to be off and fired, fully recycled or ? Also, would love to have a copy of the instruction manual. Where did you get yours?
eskopro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just joined your group and ran across a post on the Honeywell 91B. If you are still interested in any info-I probably have it. I have been using these great strobes for almost 40 years since they have been introduced.

Cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: