Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No double-image in Super Graphic rangefinder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John W

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: No double-image in Super Graphic rangefinder Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm now the proud parent of a new(-to-me) Super Graphic. A first-pass inspection of the camera suggests that it's generally in great shape, except for one matter. I'm not seeing any double-image in the rangefinder. As such, I'm looking for troubleshooting suggestions.

The RF needle moves as the lens is racked in and out. The RF cam is installed and looks fine. That's about as far as I've gotten. I'm beginning to wonder whether the mirror has desilvered.

Thanks,
John
BrianShaw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double check that the cam is correctly inserted and working. Also double check that neither of the rangefinder windows are obstructed. Also, do you have a battery door in place?
John W

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions. As it happens, the first things I checked were the RF windows and whether the cam was present and enagaing the RF mechanism correctly; all of those appear to be fine. However, the battery door wassn't installed -- I wasn't aware that might be an issue. Unfortunately, putting in batteries and the door doesn't seem to help much.
BrianShaw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must be frustrated. Have you tried covering the left-side viewfinder/rangefinder window to see if there is any image at all from the right-side of the rangefinder?
John W

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand idea. Covering the left RF window (as facing the front of the camera) shows only a dim, smudgy partial patch of light -- but no image. And after a bit more inspection, there's a small rattling that comes from the top of the camera as it's tilted back and forth. Fun!

At this point, I'm going to have to open it up to get a look at the RF, assess the damage, and see what can be done for it. I note a seller on eBay who has reprints of the Super Graphic's service manual; I haven't found a copy online thus far. Between that and graflex.org's page on RF repair, hopefully I'll be able to get the RF into shape again.
BrianShaw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, "something rattling" doesn't sound very good. If I recall the Super Graphic manual is one of the few manyals not yet on-line somewhere. I seem to recall buying a hardcopy a long time ago. You'll find it interesting... and usefull if you need to open the camera up.
Rick from OZ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

Not sure if the link will work, but regular contributor "45PSS" posted a full rangefinder calibration step by step - last accessed 28MAR2007
http://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=4647

Hope it helps,
Rick from OZ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: