Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Viewfinder mask for 2x3 Graphic
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Canuck

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello anyone who can help:
I have a 2x3 Pacemaker Crown Graphic fitted with a 101-mm Optar lens and an RH-10 rollfilm holder. What is the correct viewfinder mask for this combination? I've checked out the relevant section in the Graphic FAQs but it's not listed there.
Thanx in advance.
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the book, it's a no. 2, although to my eyeball it doesn't look like the 2 gives the correct height-to-width proportions for 6x7. Looks more like 6x9 to me, but no. 2 is what is specified for a 2-1/4" x 2-3/4" negative with 92-101mm lens. Bear in mind that the optical finder gives a very approximate view at best. And while we're at it, the ratio of 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 is 9:11, not 6:7, and the opening on an RH10 doesn't exactly conform to any of these!

[ This Message was edited by: Henry on 2006-09-26 16:41 ]
Les

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They never made a mask for 6x7, so you'll have to fudge the 6x9 mask
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tape City, here we come!

BTW, I've had much better success using the so-called "sports" finder (the collapsible "wire" frame finder on the front standard + the rear peep-sight) for hand-held shots with my Century, than the optical finder. The sports finder also is proportioned for 6x9 but I find it easy to imagine a narrower (6x7) field when looking through the frame.
troublemaker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry,
In addition to your comments, I find that the sports finder view leaves some fudge factor room, or in other words, the actual GG or film area is a bit larger. I found this to be true also of the Optical view finder using the #2 mask for standard 101-105mm lenses.
Also, true paralax correction requires a little extra tilt of the camera when comparing at close distances, 4-15ft, (based on GG to view finder checks while mounted on tripod). The best solution I have found is to shoot loose as others have suggested here.
Have fun
Les

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some hard computations with the optical view finder and, as is typical with Graflex, the 4 optical viewfinders (Anny, Short Pace, Long Pace and Wide) all give different fields of view with the normal lens. With different masks the variablity increases. usually in the 90% but as low as 86% and as high as 104%.
Billy Canuck

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. Your replies have given me some useful alternatives.
renes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know what angle of view has the tubular optical viewfinder on Century 2x3 (without mask)? Which lens coresponds to it?
Henry

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. Without getting out my Century and actually comparing things, my guess is that the optical finder without any mask installed gives approximately the view of a 65mm lens---but then again, *everything* is approximate with the optical finder, in my experience.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry wrote:
Good question. Without getting out my Century and actually comparing things, my guess is that the optical finder without any mask installed gives approximately the view of a 65mm lens---but then again, *everything* is approximate with the optical finder, in my experience.
Not so, Henry. The w/a adapter that slips in front of the tubular finder gives approximately the 65 mm lens field on 2x3, approximately the 90 mm lens field on 4x5. The tubular finder itself sees a much narrower field even with no mask in place.

FWIW, www.mpex.com usually has a couple of the w/a adapters on hand.

Also, FWIW, I use one of those w/a adapters on my Century to help me decide whether I want to use my 65.

Cheers,

Dan
renes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry, Dan,

You are both invaluable. Thank you for your help and angelic patience in explanation.
renes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry wrote:
Tape City, here we come!

BTW, I've had much better success using the so-called "sports" finder (the collapsible "wire" frame finder on the front standard + the rear peep-sight) for hand-held shots with my Century, than the optical finder.

Henry, what about the paralax correction when the subiect is 6 foot close?
Billy Canuck

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Henry, I've had much better luck with the sports finder than the optical finder. The sports finder has parallax markings -- when it's pulled all the way up, you'll see an infinity mark on the sides of the frame next to the top of the camera front. Then it slides down one notch to a 15-foot mark and finally one more notch to a 6-foot mark.
Of course both finders are only approximate. It's best to frame loose and crop later.
Billy Canuck

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to add -- when you use a rollfilm holder you'll find it really hard to get your eye up to the optical finder. Getting your eye up to the peephole sight is much easier.
renes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Canuck wrote:
Like Henry, I've had much better luck with the sports finder than the optical finder. The sports finder has parallax markings -- when it's pulled all the way up, you'll see an infinity mark on the sides of the frame next to the top of the camera front. Then it slides down one notch to a 15-foot mark and finally one more notch to a 6-foot mark. Of course both finders are only approximate. It's best to frame loose and crop later.

I do not know why but I can not pull the sports finder all the way up, it stops in half the way and locks. Do yo know what is the reason how to fix it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: