Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Viewfinder mask for 2x3 Graphic
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your Crown is like my Century, and I think it is in this respect, the front frame is a two-piece affair. Having pulled up the main frame as far as it will go, you then grasp its outer sides and pull up on them. This will fully extend the frame and form the rectangle that you sight through from the rear peep sight.

BTW, the parallax markings and stops mentioned by Billy Canuck in his post (above) are not present on my Century frame finder. IIRC, these are found on the 4x5 but not the 2x3 size.

If there is no sliding extension on your front frame, chances are that it has been removed. I did this once on my Century so I could get more front rise when I used the 65mm lens; otherwise, the finder struck the top inside of the camera body and prevented full rise at infinity focus.
C. Henry

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry;

My vintage 1947 2 x 3 Pacemaker Speed has parallelax markings for infinity, fifteen feet, & six feet on the right side of the sport finder. Maybe that was one of the differences between the Century and the Speed, or something that was discontinued at some time after the Pacemaker Series was first introduced.
I am interested in hearing if the Crown has the marks or not.

C. Henry
renes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry wrote:
If your Crown is like my Century, and I think it is in this respect, the front frame is a two-piece affair. Having pulled up the main frame as far as it will go, you then grasp its outer sides and pull up on them. This will fully extend the frame and form the rectangle that you sight through from the rear peep sight.

BTW, the parallax markings and stops mentioned by Billy Canuck in his post (above) are not present on my Century frame finder. IIRC, these are found on the 4x5 but not the 2x3 size.

If there is no sliding extension on your front frame, chances are that it has been removed. I did this once on my Century so I could get more front rise when I used the 65mm lens; otherwise, the finder struck the top inside of the camera body and prevented full rise at infinity focus.

Ok, I found it. Many thanks.
But there are also no parallax markings on sports finder of my Century.

Henry

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="renes"]
Henry wrote:

I assume you meant to write "Crown" instead of "Century"?
renes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant Century.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

renes wrote:

Ok, I found it. Many thanks.

Nor on mine. The marks are present on my 2x3 Crown and 2x3 Pacemaker Speed. Another way, perhaps, in which the Century differs from the higher-priced Graphics.
Billy Canuck

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C. Henry, the Crown has the parallax markings as well -- at least on the 2x3 I have.
C. Henry

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy

Thanks! That is what I would have expected as I have been told repeatedly that the only differences between the Crown & Speed are those items that are only on the Speed to support the focal plane shutter.

C. Henry
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the clarifications. A question: in your individual and collective experiences, are those parallax markings a meaningful aid? Or is the view through the sports finder so approximate anyway that there is no practical value to them?
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry, I'm sorry but I never use the sportsfinder or, for that matter, the tubular viewfinder.
mopar_guy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two 2x3 Crown Graphics and a 3x4 Pacemaker Speed Graphic and all of the cameras date to 1952. All three have the paralax markings on the sports finder. On the 2x3 Crowns, one has the 101mm Ektar and the other has the 105mm Ektar. It looks to me that when I look through the ground glass that both lenses have the same angle of view. The sports finders on both cameras have a slightly narrower view than the optical finders but the sports finders seem to be closer to what the ground glass shows. Most of the "people" shots that I do I use the sports finder at around 12-15 feet and I do set the sports finder up on the 15 foot paralax mark.

Regards,
Dave
I guess that I could get a digital camera but it would be obsolete in a couple of years (three tops). Or I could use my 3x4 Anniversary Speed Graphic. Heck, it's been obsolete for 50 years. That's way better than digital.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: