Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Film holder hinge tape replacement.

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several of my older Riteway, Ansco, and Fidelity holders have developed light leaks from the hinge tape wearing out. Has anyone here found a good replacement material?
Thanks
sauerwald

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what you are 'supposed' to use, but I use a black cloth tape from the local hockey shop. It is a bit wider than it needs to be, so I slit it lengthwise with an x-acto.
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think B&H has hinge tape. Gaffer's tape works. I use camera covering that I aquired a bunch of. It's black fabric reinforced stuff that works quite well. Stick it with Pliobond or similar.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use graffers tape but just about any tape that is flexable will work, except duct tape which will deterate after time and leave a sticky residue; book binder tape and most cloth type work best.

disemjg

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatever is used, be sure that it is thin enough to fit onto the ledge of the flap without rising above it. I have seen such repairs where the tape is too thick, and is higher than the face of the holder. This of course keeps the flap end of the holder from fully seating, leading to possible light leaks and loss of focus as the holder is out of register with the film plane.
Henry

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another very good, durable tape is the linen tape sold at art supply houses (such as Dick Blick). In mounting/framing photographs it is used for fastening mat board to backing board such as Foamcore. But I have only seen it in white. You might could blacken it with a wide felt tipped marking pen. Be sure you get the tape with the stickum already on, rather than the gummed type which you have to wet. It isn't cheap but I think it would do the job in this application, and it isn't near as thick as gaffer tape.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: