Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4x5 Speed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2001 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received my Christmas present, an old Black Speed, with I think has some modern modifications. The S/N of the camera is 350679. The lens is a Ektar S/N ER 7303, and the back is Graflok with The Fresnel Lens. From looking at the reference to Ektars I guess that would indicate 1945 for the lens, but what about the Camera, has drop front, but no tilt and strange infinity stops. Thanks. Russ
daleraby

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2001 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... I'm no expert, but I'd like to guess. Your camera sounds like mine, actually. I'm given to understand that all war production Speed Graphics did not have any bright metal parts... everything was black, so it would be an anniversary model, war production, which is consistent with the lens. The Graflok back, I would guess was a later addition. Mine also has the drop front and rising front, but no Graflok back. Serial Number of mine is 309109. Perhaps one of the Keepers of the Copy could help us both out on dates.
Gandolf

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2001 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of these cameras fall "between the cracks" in the records.

For reason's the elders did not explain some numbers were not recorded. Perhaps these were for government sales, perhaps the record keeper had too much spirit.

However, the holes are obvious and easily dated.

350679 was made sometime in the summer of '45

309109 was made sometime in the Spring of '42

[ This Message was edited by: Gandolf on 2001-12-26 21:22 ]
jdman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2001 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, close enough for me. Am now in the process of installing a Rodenstock lens, which has the more modern shutter, and then will rework the rangefinder. Russ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: