Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rnagefinder Repair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scoop

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kalart Rangfinder on my 4x5 Crown was in need of some refurbishment. The moving image was so dim it could scarcely be seen, even in sunlight.

The problem was that the silver coating on the beamsplitter window had deteriorated to the point that there was little reflection. I decided to try the repair described by Ed Romney (on the this site). I'm pleased to report that it really was a simple job, taking about 30 minutes and the rangefinder is bright now and easy to use.

I obtained the 50% transmission mirror from Edmund. My Kalart required a half-silvered mirror 1/2" x 5/8". This I cut, as Romney describes, by scoring the reverse (non-silvered) side with a tungsten carbide scriber (got mine at Sears). I'm guessing that one could cut a mirror about one-half this size, if needed, without too much trouble.

The old mirror was held in its retaining slot with a dab of cement at each end (along the 5/8 dimension). I snapped the old mirror off with a pair of pliers (wear eye protection here), chipped away the old cement, and carefully cleared the remaining glass out of the slot with a narrow bladed screwdriver. Sounds more formidable that it actually proved to be.

The existing miror in the Kalart was 0.060" thick,and the slot which held it that dimension. The mirror from Edmund was 0.030". I wound up making a couple of spacers to hold the mirror firmly against the front edge of the slot by compressing some carboard with a rolling pin to ca. 0.025, putting a small piece at each end of the mirror, the allowing the carboard to swell tight with the Duco cement which I used to hold the new mirror in place.

I'm keeping the remainder of the 3x3" beamsplitter in case I have to repeat this repair in another 54 years.
Les

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2001 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done scoop!

steverose108

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2001 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job! I did a Kalart on my 23 Crown too, with Edmund glass which I cut with an oil-feed glass cutter which you can get at a stained glass supply house. It's an old one but very accurate and made in Japan. Don't know if any advantage over scriber, but it did cut well. I wrapped the glass in paper (once scribed) and snapped it off between the jaws of a bench vise for solidity...what an AMAZING difference in the viewfinder, well worth the trouble! S
jdman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2001 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Kalart that has lost the silver on the top mirror. Is that a front silvered mirror or what. Any suggestions?Russ
jdman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2002 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished replacing the the beam splitter in my Kalart. Getting the glass was easy, cutting the glass was easy, but putting that thing in was a real pain. Anyway the operation was a success and I now have enough spares to fix a lot of cameras. Thanks to all of you. Russ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: