Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flash synch adaptor?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndrewL

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very simple question, I hope. The flash synch connection on my Speed Graphic had two prongs. where can I get an adaptor that will allow me to use my regular flash lights (Bowens)?

BTW, I'm mainly going to be using the focal plane shutter.

Thanks. Andrew
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2006-04-24 01:26, AndrewL wrote:
This is a very simple question, I hope. The flash synch connection on my Speed Graphic had two prongs. where can I get an adaptor that will allow me to use my regular flash lights (Bowens)?

BTW, I'm mainly going to be using the focal plane shutter.

Thanks. Andrew
Paramount (use Google to find 'em) makes bipost-to-PC cables. By the way, your Speed's focal plane shutter won't sync with electronic flash.
AndrewL

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, Dan. That's a bit of a pain about not being able to use flash synch with the focal plane shutter but not the end of the world. Oh, well.
AndrewL

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update, the focal plane shutter does synch with flash. You use it in the 'O' position.
C. Henry

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are using the focal plane shutter in the "O" (open) position you don't need to sync the flash, just fire it (them) with the test button on the flash unit(s) after the shutter opens.
AndrewL

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"just fire it (them) with the test button on the flash unit(s) after the shutter opens."

That sounds like it won't so useful for doing portraits. I've ordered a bi-post to PC connector from Lens & Repro and it will be interesting to see whether I can, and can't, do with the focal plane shutter. I have several lovely barrel lenses that i won't to use on the Speed Graphic and it would be great if I could them, for portraits, with flash.
AndrewL

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try that again with, hopefully, fewer mistakes...

I've ordered a bi-post to PC connector from Lens & Repro and it will be interesting to see what I can, and can't, do with the focal plane shutter. I have several lovely old barrel lenses (Dallmeyer, Som Bertiot etc) that I want to use on the Speed Graphic and it would be great if I could use them, for portraits, with studio flash lights (Bowens).
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndrewL,
Meter the ambient light in your studio that you will be posing your model(s) in. Now caculate the exposure it would take to correctly expose the film you plan to use at this light level. Next set up your studio strobes and caculate the exposure for them.

Set the Speed's FPS to "T", trip the shutter and allow a second for the vibration to subside, fire the strobes, then close the shutter. F stop controls the exposure for the strobes while Time controls exposure for the ambient. IF the ambient exposes at a faster rate than you can trip/fire/close the FPS then turn the lights down or off to achieve the desired time frame to work in.

Samples of this principle.
(light meter used to triger strobes)

Charles

AndrewL

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles,

Many thanks for your comprehensive reply. I must confess, I'm struggling trying to fully understand what you've written. However, with the aid of the Polaroid back, I'm sure I'll get there. Just to have to wait for Lens & repro to deliver the right connector.

Am also waiting for a Satin Snow ground glass. The one I'm currently using is a bit of a lemon.

Thanks once again.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2006-05-31 15:00, AndrewL wrote:
Charles,

Many thanks for your comprehensive reply. I must confess, I'm struggling trying to fully understand what you've written. However, with the aid of the Polaroid back, I'm sure I'll get there. Just to have to wait for Lens & repro to deliver the right connector.

Am also waiting for a Satin Snow ground glass. The one I'm currently using is a bit of a lemon.

Thanks once again.
Charles told you that you can use open flash with the focal plane shutter in a darkened room. If that will do what you need, wonderful. If not, you'll have to give up for the moment on using your barrel lenses with flash.

Depending on the barrel lens' focal length, you may be able to mount it in front of a leaf shutter. And then you should be able to do what you want with little effort.

Portraiture with electronic flash may just be possible on 4x5 with a 6" lens in front of a #1 Compur/Copal, more possible with a larger shutter. An 8" lens mounted in front of a #1 should allow portraiture with flash and no vignetting. With an Alphax or Betax or Ilex #1, I think you'll be set even with a 6".

Remember that x sync can be added to leaf shutters that don't have it.
AndrewL

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan,

My Speed Graphic has two prongs on the side near the focal plane shutter that I'm assuming that is designed to fire a flash. I can't think why else they would be there.

It was Jeffry, from Lens & Repro, who told me I could use flash with the shutter set to 'O'.

When the bi-post connector arrives, from NY, I'll be able to see for myself what exactly is possible.From what say, it ssounds like I'm going to be disappointed.
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bi-Post connector next to the Focal Plane Shutter will fire a flash. The curtain has a metal strip next to each slit that shorts the Bi-Post contacts which causes the flash to fire.

Flash duration of electronic flash is very short and the curtain travel over the 4 inch height of the film plane is relatively slow.

On a Pacemaker Speed the only selection is low/high on the governor selector and no other tension setting can be done.

On Anniversary and SLR Graflex cameras the tension can be set seperate of the curtain slit.

On both type cameras "T" stands for TIme and "O" for open.

To fire and set off a flash on the Pacemaker for "O" the shutter must be wound to "T" so that the film is covered then on triping the shutter as the "O" slot just starts to enter the film plane the Flash fires and in the case of an electronic flah the flash dies off long before the "O" slot fully opens the film plane 6to light. A second trip of the shutter is required to cover the film again so that it is not exposed to light futher.

A full power setting on a 300ws to 500ws studio strobe may fully expose a sheet of film equivelent to 1/4 power setting on the strobe if used on a leaf shutter. Test to find out just what you will get but it will not be full setting of the strobe or the film may be bright on one side and dark on the other.

Charles

AndrewL

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles,

Many, many thanks for your comprehensive reply. Armed with a printed copy of it, I reckon I've got fair chance of making this whole thing work for me.

Other good news is that Satin Snow have finally posted my ground glass.

It's going beginnig to shape up nicely
AndrewL

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newsflash. The Paramount connector arrived, from Lens & repro, today and I've been able to take a few Polaroids.

Huge sigh of relief, the flash works with the focal plane shutter if the latter is set to 'T'.

Charles, many thanks for reminding to fire the shutter after the flash has fired.

The other good news is that the exposure seems to be pretty even across the shot (I was shooting at f11).

Admittedly, I don't think I'll be able to indulge in sophisticated measurements balancing the flash with the ambient but I can live with that. I'm just happy I can now use those barrel lenses of mine.
AndrewL

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More good news is that the Satin Snow ground glass finally arrived safely today and it was definitely worth the wait.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: