Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

White corner on Polaroids

View previous topic :: View next topic  
acedar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I just started using a Polaroid 545 for the first time. I'm using it with a Crown Graphic before I start using regular film. It seems as though eveytime I process it the lower right hand corner of the picture has a white triangle in it which would actually be the upper left as you're pulling the film out. I'm developing for 45 seconds at room temperature which is about 70 degrees. I've tried different times and different methods of pulling the film out: sometimes slower and sometimes faster but always straight out and steady but I always get that annoying white triangle. The rest of the picture is fine. The bellows are light tight and the rollers are clean. And as everyone knows Polaroid film isn't cheap. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Bob.
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try a different batch of film.

alecj

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your next batch does NOT contain the blank space, I would send some of the prints to Polaroid. They are very proud of their quality control and usually replace film they deem defective. I'd also enclose a print from the "good pack" to demonstrate it wasn't the film.
acedar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot. I'll give it a try. Bob.
RichS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't have another box of film, try this.

Take a sheet and gently (very!) massage the chemical pod before inserting it into the holder. If Polaroid film gets old, or is stored on it's side instead of flat, the chemicals can migrate to one side. It doesn't take much to through off the development. I massage all my old film and it works great, and some of that film is several years out of date.

As mentioned, defective film is very possible.

A good check ad cleaning of the rollers may help, but I doubt it in this case?

The only other thought would be if you're pulling the film out at a slight angle. That would also upset the eveness of the checmicals in the pod. You can usually fix/test this by taking the holder out of the camera before pulling the film. Then lay the holder flat on the edge of a table and pull the film there. It's easier to pull completely straight that way.

Just some random thoughts...

acedar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Rich,
I tried everything you suggested including lightly massaging the pod but still get that annoying white part in the corner. Upon further inspection it looks like that part of the backing is coming off with the film or there is no backing at all in that area on each sheet of film., hence the white mark. Does this indicate bad film, bad technique or something else? Bob.
acedar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
Just called Polaroid and after explaining the problem to them they said they would send me a coupon for a new box of type 54 film. ( a $60.00 value) Can't ask for more than that!!
RichS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I missed the part about trying varius ways of pulling the film, and most importantly, the 'trianle' shape.

Yes, last year there were many batches of film that had this problem. I thought it was mostly Type 55 but I could be wrong? As you have found out, Polaroid cares about their quality and takes care of it's users. I have loved dealing with them in the past.

Good luck with your new film.

acedar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, Rich.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: