Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

advice on purchasing a speed graphic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajvin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2001 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I presently own a century graphic and pleased with it but contemplating buying a speed graphic.
Possibility of a pacemaker speed 3 x 4 or a miniature speed 2 x 3....
I know the 3 x 4 film is obsolete but am I still doing a good thing getting it and adapting 4 x 5 film ....
thx
alecj

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2001 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>am I still doing a good thing...

I guess that depends on what you're definition of a "good thing" is, doesn't it?

What's the point of going to so much effort just to use an outdated camera? It isn't as if they're unique, or something. If the point is proving you can do it, OK. But, if you are in it to take better pictures than you are getting with the Century, then go on up to 4x5 and get on with it. Any savings in camera cost will be offset by film wasted at the cutting bench.

Just my opinion, since you asked.
ajvin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2001 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the honesty and your opinion...
I guess my question should have been in line with choosing the speed graflex as a more versatile tool for my photography in that it has a back shutter and possibility of using a shutterless lens. If my choices in price are between then miniature 2 x 3 speed or the 3 x 4 pacemaker,,,,,which is a "less comprimising" option?

thx
hmartin@tns.net

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2001 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither! IMHO late model Crown Graphic 4x5 is the only way to go.

[ This Message was edited by: hmartin@tns.net on 2001-12-23 17:36 ]

[ This Message was edited by: hmartin@tns.net on 2001-12-23 19:55 ]
Les

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2001 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO the 3x4's only redeeming quality is that it can be converted (permanently) to take 3x4 Polaroid pack film. That includes typee 55 neg as well.

If your end prints are 11x14 or less, then getting a good pacemaker 2x3 and a very good roll back (think Mamiya or Horseman) you can make excellent pictures.

If you have your heart set on 4x5, get a Crown, either side or top finder and be done.If you don't buy mint, and don't drop it you can sell it for what you paid for it.

Modifying a 3x4 to 4x5 isn't worth the bother and when your done you have a cobbled up mess that has even less movement than a crown 4x5 becuase the smaller body vignettes, and is worth less than what you paid for the body alone, ignoring the blood, sweat & tears you put into it after.
Henry

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2001 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree totally with Les's advice on the capabilities of 2x3. But since you already have a Century, there's no need to get a Pacemaker 2x3, is there? They're identical in function. Put your money into good lenses. Also, it's nice if you can afford a Horseman or Mamiya roll film back, but don't overlook the Graphic roll film backs either. Maybe it's just dumb luck, but my Graphic backs (lever advance with the skinny metal tensioning rollers) work fine---OK, once in a great while something weird happens like a slight overlap or a wide frame spacing---but personally I like the idea of using all Graflex-made equipment. That goes for the lenses as well: Optars in Graphex shutters.
hartwell_a_m

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2002 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heartily agree with every one buy yourself a 4X5 speed Graphic or Century Graphic and enjoy the wide range of film avialible. The time you would spend cutting down film for the 3X4 can be better spent taking pictures in 4X5.
hartwell_a_m

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a small Speed Graphic then I would recomend one of the various 2X3 Speed Graphics.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2002 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-12-23 09:18, ajvin wrote:
thanks for the honesty and your opinion...
I guess my question should have been in line with choosing the speed graflex as a more versatile tool for my photography in that it has a back shutter and possibility of using a shutterless lens. If my choices in price are between then miniature 2 x 3 speed or the 3 x 4 pacemaker,,,,,which is a "less comprimising" option?

thx

Well, if by "miniature speed" you mean the 1937-1946 one, not the Pacemaker 2x3 speed, I think you shouldn't get it. It is a less flexible camera than the Pacemakers, including your Century, and boards won't interchange. If it doesn't have a Graflok, roll backs won't interchange either. I've had Mini, have a 2x3 Pacemaker speed and a Century, and don't regret getting rid of the Mini.

The big advantage of the 3x4 over the 2x3s is more extension. Otherwise, its just a bigger heavier thing to attach a roll back to.

If you must have a speed (yeah, the back shutter comes in handy when higher shutter speeds are needed), look for a 2x3 Pacemaker, ideally with a Graflok.

About barrel lenses, well, they look like a good idea, but if you want to shoot flash pictures with them a speed won't, practically speaking, do it. None of them syncs with electronic flash.

Practically speaking though, just go and get what appeals to you. If it doesn't please in use, you can always sell it and recover, if not all, of the outlay. Unless, that is, you go wild and overpay. Always a risk, eh?

Cheers,

Dan
hartwell_a_m

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2002 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE:About barrel lenses, well, they look like a good idea, but if you want to shoot flash pictures with them a speed won't, practically speaking, do it. None of them syncs with electronic flash.

The Mini Speed Graphic came with one of three shutters, a Compure speed, a Kodak Flash Supermatic, and a Graflex shutter, of the three the Graflex shutter is the only one that offered a X-sync.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: