Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for opinions on a Gowland Pocket View

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoagie

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I am having fun with my speed graphic and all, but I want to get into architecture photography and want something with back movements, that is transportable. I thought about going the medium format route with a shift lens and such, but since I already have lens for large format why not take the money and get another LF camera. I was looking at the Shen-Hao, then someone directed me to Peter Gowland's site and I saw the pocket view. Looks well built and lite. Anyone have experience or know anyone that does? Thanks for you help!

William
David A. Goldfarb

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 4x5" front moves camera, and an older 8x10" Pocket View with front and rear movements. I've posted about them over on lfphoto.info quite a bit, so check the Q&A forum over there, and you should turn up some info from myself and a few other Gowland users.

Short version--they are very capable and lightweight cameras, but require a certain degree of flexibility on the part of the user to accommodate the quirks that come with the design of such a light camera, such as having two knobs that control front tilt, rise/fall, and hold the lensboard in place. It's not as awkward as it sounds, but you need to be the sort of person who is willing to work with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: