Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

United We Stand (A Graflex Gathering)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolvertone

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2001 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the Louisiana area. I don't know if anybody is interested or not, but I'd like to set up a weekend where members of the forum could get together and create some pics together.

I'm not trying to organize anything ritzy or scam anybody's money, just thought it would be fun to do.

Anybody from Houston to Panama City (West-East) or as north as maybe Memphis.

This could be held in the city with the most people responding. Could also be six months from now, no real time limit.

Could be city architechture, or scenics, depending on majority opinion.

If this idea just sucks, then let me know but I think there is at least ONE other person out there who would like to have a weekend of Graflex fun!

Let me know or discuss with others. First, how many people are in this part of the woods?

Steve
alecj

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2001 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in! Coming from B'ham.
daleraby

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2001 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in... tentatively at least. From Green Bay, Wisconsin... if y'all don't like Yankees... I was born in Beaumont Texas. Airfares are pretty cheap just now, so a trip down south should be no problem.

Just a suggestion... the Confederate Air Force (http://www.confederateairforce.org) HQ in Midland, TX might provide some excelent subject matter. If you wish, the National Railroad Museum is located in Green Bay... also some excelent subject matter.

This might be made an annual/biennial/semi-annual event. I suspect it might be popular... there seem to be enough of us nuts around. We could go to a different place each year. Please not Yosemite until after next year, though... I have to save my pennies until I try to do Ansel Adams one better on Half Dome!

Let me know if I can help with my webzine, though I suspect that this forum would be enough publicity.

Dale A. Raby
Editor/Publisher
The Green Bay Web
http://www.thegreenbayweb.com

[ This Message was edited by: daleraby on 2001-12-24 10:09 ]
wolvertone

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2001 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see some + feedback!

Let's keep the enthusiasm up and see how many people are interested.

I was thinking on people arriving Fri night and shooting most of Saturday (at a relaxed pace, maybe a few locations), shoot some more Sunday morning and then be off.

It seems logical that MOST people could get away for the weekend. Let's decide on a month first.

I suggest either the first of March or the First part of May (I'll be way out of pocket most of Mid-March to Mid-April). Of course, earlier or later could work too. Share your thoughts.

Sound good?

Maybe someone up North could schedule one for people not able to come this far.

We could share photos on this forum somewhere!

BTW, I'm going to assume MOST graflex users are not hard-core party goers. What you do is your own business, but I was hoping this would be a "clean" weekend where a good time could be had by all. No rotten apples, I guess...

Merry Christmas to everybody!

Steve

[ This Message was edited by: wolvertone on 2001-12-24 11:02 ]
daleraby

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2001 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travel by air is cheap these days... so it might not be that big a deal to schedule only one event... I might suggest a little more advance notice, but it is doable.

So the proposal is for one event, or two, possibly simultaneously.

I would guess that most of us are going to be a bit more subdued... I would probably have a woman and three or four children in tow. A wild orgy of drinking and hard partying is not what I'd be looking for.

Where might this be? Any suggestions? Anyone?
alecj

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2001 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, what appealed to me was the general locale - Louisiana. Although it might be old hat to Steve, I'm sure he's probably got some ideas for out-of-the-way places that would be new to us. As my wife so eloquently puts it, I love "dead trees and falling-down houses". I would love to get in some backwater locations [no Clyde Butcher setups please] he might have found. Small run-down towns, or "not too wild" swamp views. In two days we won't be able to cover too much [at least speaking for myself I'm not THAT fast a shooter]. I just like the general idea. I'm retired so the timing shouldn't be any problem with me.

Dale, we'll let you come, but you've got to leave that cold air home. I've got a "Southern" Graflex and it doesn't like extreme cold. I notice you all have already left the arctic door open again!

[ This Message was edited by: alecj on 2001-12-24 13:55 ]
LelandRay

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2001 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot, I'm only two hours from New Orleans, but I'd just as soon absorb some cafe au lait and beignets as shoot pictures.

Come to think of it, considering how many strange looks I get hauling around a Speed, I wonder what folks would say if a whole gaggle of folks did it?

A Gallery for Fine Photography on Royal St. would be one must see destination in the Crescent City.
Ron Hanes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Y'ALL :
Is this still in the works? Im interested. Im in Oklahoma. Have Graflex will travel.

Ron H. revron_1@hotmail.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: