Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

darkslide use in roll holders

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwscheil

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I always insert the darkslide, advance the film, then pull the darkslide, is it really necessary to insert the slide each time before advancing the film? I am not using the ground glass for focusing here, just the rangefinder. I can see that accidental lifting of the holder might occur under the spring clips.
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't trust the rollholder to be light-tight against the back of the camera body when advancing the film with the thumb lever, which is why I always re-insert the dark slide before advancing. Just a bit of extra insurance, small effort for potential reward of not having to go back and reshoot (sometimes that's not even possible, for various reasons).

Now the knob advance rollholder is a different story. Very little torque and stress if it's in proper working order; same should apply to lever advance but occasionally for some unfathomable reason mine wants to be stubborn.
David A. Goldfarb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm shooting in bright sun, I might insert the darkslide between shots to prevent light leaks, but I don't particularly insert it when I'm advancing the film.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2006-01-18 06:54, gwscheil wrote:
Although I always insert the darkslide, advance the film, then pull the darkslide, is it really necessary to insert the slide each time before advancing the film? I am not using the ground glass for focusing here, just the rangefinder. I can see that accidental lifting of the holder might occur under the spring clips.
I'm a klutz. So I make sure the dark slide is in except when I'm about to take a shot. And that means while I'm advancing the film. It can't hurt, might prevent a lost frame.

Don't happy, be worry,

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: