Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shutter Sync cord for Pacemaker

View previous topic :: View next topic  
klepto_maniac

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know anywhere in the UK where I could get a Shutter sync cord for my Graphic? Its the dipole type to fit a 2772 synchronizer. I've got the solenoid cord but I have a big box of FP class flash bulbs just asking for the back shutter! I'm not being prejudiced about anything Stateside but I'm fed up with Customs and Excise stinging me for money!!
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There probably is a company within the European Union that produces replacement cords for obsolete flash connectors, of which there have been many. Germany's Hama comes to mind; they make all sorts of stuff, not all of which gets to these shores.

Have you asked a large dealer in the UK? The right kind of dealer also might know where to find a used cord in good condition. My impression is that a fair number of "Speed Graphic" cameras made it to England during and right after World War II, so there may be some residue of inventory floating around.

It might be helpful to compile a list of dealers in different countries who know what a "press camera" is, and are sympathetic to press camera users. Who knows where one may be when the need for a replacement synch cord or something arises?
disemjg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a recent post regarding cords someone pointed out that a regular piece of lamp cord could be used for an improvised synch cord.

So, get a cheap lightweight extension cord, and cut off the excess length at the female end. Go to a good electrical supply house and search out the section where they keep the crimp-on connecters. Look for the round type, and select a few sizes that look right. They will be on the small side. Test them on the camera synch contacts, and squeeze or expand them if necessary. Crimp them onto the ends of the cord when they fit securely. Test for function.

Others have suggested molding the two connectors into a block to complete the project, but all I would do is put shrink fit insulation on them to reinforce the joint and make them look pretty. They should not be close enough to each other when plugged in to touch, so I do not think there should be any problem.

Hopefully you can get a cheap HH plug extension cord in the UK; or is that your standard plug also?
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Electrical plugs in the UK are entirely different from the "standard" US household plug. My guess is that this would not be a practical option.
617upkeep2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re your flash connector problems-Maplin Electronics(UK)have a variety of connectors. Worth visiting one of their larger stores if you can. I made up a connector to my 135/Optar lens (twin prong type) using a plastic battery connector(JG05-Race Pk Female lead),has 6"trailing leads which I soldered to a spare flash connection lead(cutting off one end). Hope this info helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: