Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Super D conversion to Graphic Back

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ambro77

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all, Does anyone have any practical experience with converting a Super D 4x5 to contemporary graphic backs? I attempted a simple conversion using a crambo back and it was off of course, (derrrr). I do have a graphic back and think I can remove the back plate to install it, but surely it isn't that easy!?!?!?? I know SK grimes and Fred Lustig can do it but I kinda want to learn it myself and do a DIY. Is there a site that has a repair manual online for the Super D???
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Many thanks,
steve
Les

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure Bert will tell you more, but I would expect after everything is mounted on the back, you'll have to shim/adjust the ground glass as the registration will be in a different place. Graflex holders focus at a different point from their front face than Graphic holders, so even if you adapted it so the Graflok back fit in exactly the same place as the Graflex back, you'll still have to adjust the ground glass.

bertsaunders

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The back can be converted, but it is converted with a milled plate...do you have a mill??
And as Les said, the GG will have to be moved a bit to compensate for diff position of the film plane!
Email me at
bsaunders1@bak.rr.com
Have a nice day.....Bert
jkendig

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a great deal easier to come upon Graflex film holders including Grafmatic 6 and 12 septum holders than to go for a conversion. Even roll holders for 120 film are available to fit the Graflex back. Sure, you can't use Polaroid sheets or Readiloads, but they are both fairly expensive media compared to sheet film.
hporter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that you wanted to have DIY project, but I would have to agree with jkendig, the holders and roll film holders are fairly easy to come by. I actually enjoy using the older slotted holders on mine, and I was able to pick up both a 6x9 and a 6x6 roll film holder on eBay for the camera rather cheaply a few months ago.

Good luck with your project, but using the original equipment, for me, adds to the enjoyment of the experience.

Harold
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.lensrepro.com/ does the Graflex to Graflok conversion for a fee and may not be willing to share info about it. Bag Magazines that hold 12 sheets come up on ebay frequently. There is one on ebay now that only has 6 septrums. Bag Mags will not work without the proper number of spectrums. A few older Bag Mags held 18 spectrums. Specturms are what the sheet of film goes in.
Charles

bertsaunders

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are still interested in a conversion back...email me at
bsaunders1@bak.rr.com
for more information!
Have a nice day.....Bert
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: