Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What tripod do you use? Brand and Material?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoagie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I searched and only found one thread on a tripod suggestion. I currently have a bogen 3021 with a grip head and it works fine with my 2x3 graphic, but is not stable enough for my metal New-Vu view camera, which is all metal. I was wondering what you guys use for the heavy cameras? Thanks for your help in advance, and for what information I have gotten already!!
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2005-11-08 14:22, Hoagie wrote:
Hello, I searched and only found one thread on a tripod suggestion. I currently have a bogen 3021 with a grip head and it works fine with my 2x3 graphic, but is not stable enough for my metal New-Vu view camera, which is all metal. I was wondering what you guys use for the heavy cameras? Thanks for your help in advance, and for what information I have gotten already!!
If you have the Bogen head with a hand grip release for the ball and the ball at the bottom, it, not your tripod, is the problem.
Les

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my 4x5 Graphic camera I use the same joy stick head, but I used the tension control (the knob in the center of the hand grip) to stiffen the movement.

For my Cambo View I use the larger 3050 tripod and the 3047 head. View cameras need to have tripod movements done separately, so I would shy away from a ball head, go with a 3 way head of your choice.

disemjg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My standard field tripod is a Gitzo Reporter Performance with a Rational #3 head; I'm sure they have comparable models in the current line if not the identical tripod and head. A good balance of weight and holding capacity, if not cheap. It has no problems with anything I have, including heavy monorails, except my Ansco 8X10 which demands something heavier.

For the Ansco I have been using a Ries tripod (I think it is a model A), but unfortunately the head I have on it is a (GIGANTIC) Manfrotto ball job. As Les points out, this kind of head does not lend itself to LF work. It has been very frustrating and I will have to replace it with a more suitable head. Interestingly, the Manfrotto ball head has no problem with such a heavy camera, but it is the most massive ball head I have ever seen and is unusually strong. It also weighs about ten pounds by itself and looks like it came from an anvil factory. Not crude, just rugged.

My heaviest tripod is a Gitzo Tele Studex Compact Rapid, with a Rational No. 5 head. It can hold pretty much anything, but lugging it in the field is a bear. I have not used it for years, but I guess I'll have to try it with the Ansco.
Rangemaster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a bogen 3021 with a 3047 pan and tilt for both my 4x5 and my 8x10 cameras and don't seem to have any problems.

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davidson Pro Deluxe (Tiltal knock-off). It's a little light for the 4x5s, but seems to do the job.
alecj

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either a Bogen 3046 w/3047 head, or Zone VI "lightweight" w/3047.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I suggested you're crazy, didn't tell you what I use.

Started with an all-metal Star-D imitation Tiltall. Gave up on it not because of unsteadiness but because clamping it down after aiming shifted long lenses' point of aim too much.

Replaced it with a 3021 and D&S F-40 head on top of a 3115 ball leveler. Got a fluid head and leveler because I was shooting movies too. The leveler is invaluable for still photography too.

Replaced the F-40 with a 3063 head after I got fed up with the F-40's hourglass shaped quick release device.

Replaced the 3063 with a 3047 after I stopped shooting movies and got fed up with a slight wobble about the 3063's pan axis; a used 3047 cost less than having the 3063 fixed.

Replaced the 3021 with a Berlebach 8023G (ash wood) because I was fed up with the 3021's lack of torsional rigidity. This was a problem with long lenses, e.g., 700/8 Questar. Just touching the 3021 made the platform rotate enough to shift the point of aim. The problem is in the leg locks, they let the sections move a tiny bit relative to each other. Doesn't matter for shortish lenses, but I have a couple of long ones that are hard enough to use without sabotage from the tripod.
David A. Goldfarb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of original Leitz Tiltalls which seem sufficient for 4x5".

For bigger cameras I usually use a Bogen 3233 with either a Gitzo G1570M low-profile pan-tilt head or a Majestic head.

I also have a small Linhof pedestal-style studio stand that I usually use with the Majestic head.
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can afford it, go for one of the Manfrotto geared heads. I have the cat. no. 3275 "410 compact gear head" on an (old-style) Bogen 3001 with my Century, which I use like a view camera. For 4x5 and larger you may need a larger size than the 3275. I find the precision and ease of operation of the geared head far superior to either the three-way pan-tilt or the ball-type heads. Leveling and fine adjustments of composition are a breeze with the geared head. Think of it as a one-time, life-time investment.

[ This Message was edited by: Henry on 2005-11-09 11:04 ]
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two Gitzo Preformance Studex series 3. They are different colors, and different heights. They support up to 22 pounds. Purchased used. I also have 2 R5 low profile heads good for 8x10, and a R3 3way head for 35mm. Current line slightly different than older versions but close enough for elaluation.
http://www.gitzo.com/products/metric/rightscreen.php3

alecj

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2005-11-09 07:19, David A. Goldfarb wrote:
I have a couple of original Leitz Tiltalls which seem sufficient for 4x5". ...

I don't know what you mean by "original" David. The ORIGINAL Tiltalls were made by Marchioni. I'm still using my "original" Tiltall purchased in 1965. Great for cameras up to MF, but would rather use more substantial ones for heavier ones.
Rangemaster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2005-11-10 10:20, alecj wrote:
Quote:

On 2005-11-09 07:19, David A. Goldfarb wrote:
I have a couple of original Leitz Tiltalls which seem sufficient for 4x5". ...

I don't know what you mean by "original" David. The ORIGINAL Tiltalls were made by Marchioni. I'm still using my "original" Tiltall purchased in 1965. Great for cameras up to MF, but would rather use more substantial ones for heavier ones.

Actually,

There have been at least three different manufactures of Tiltall tripods, I have one with adaptall tiltall on the model lable, I have two with Leitz as the manufacture and I have two that just say Tiltall on the lable, the Leitz is smaller than the others, the Adaptall model are 6 foot tall with just the legs extened and no center column extended and would hold up the end of a car to change a tire, the Leitz models are great for 35 and strain a bit with the heavier MF gear on it.

But again, the tiltall name has been passed around quite a bit over the years.

Dave

David A. Goldfarb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I know that originally, before the Tiltall was marketed under the Leitz brand, they were sold directly by Marchioni under their own brand. I just meant that it wasn't one of the later Asian knockoffs.

Old Marchioni and Leitz Tiltalls seem to sell for about the same price as the latest versions, but I'd prefer an old one in good condition to the new ones.
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys have more to spend than I do. I search around for old clunky but sturdy ones. Star D, a monster Quick Set that would hold up a Volkswagen, old, old Vivitar, and my newest acquisition - a heavy Velbon (don't laugh) video camera tripod for 5 bucks. Very stout and rigid enough for my Kodak Master View aka CC-400 with a 26 inch rail. Each has it's own best atributes for a given camera / format. I'd rather spend money on film.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: