Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

setting shutter on Press Graflex 5 x 7

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuart

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently purchased a Press Graflex 5 x 7 on e-bay for restoration. I have replaced and re-embossed all the leather and refurbed all the metal components with metal etching primer. The shutter was in great condition when I received the camera but not working, all parts are present and have been overhauled. All parts are refitted back on the camera but I am unable to find any information anywhere on how to reset the shutter on this model. Can anyone help out with this problem.
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart,
I have one complete 5x7 Press Graflex, and one for parts! Have never found any repair instructions for this camera, but this is the way I adjusted mine! As you found when you diss-assembled the tension plate assembly, the tension spring looks like it came from a Grandfather clock, about (16) 1/4" wide coils, and it is located on the backside of the tension plate itself (unlike the normal return spring inside of the bottom roll itself)!
With the back removed so you can get at the curtain, and the tension plate held in place with 2 screws....>Initially< set the tension on the tension plate at >"7"<.....
jamb/hold the curtain in place.....release the tension back as far as it will go.....
remove the tension plate....then put the tension plate back in place...retain again with 2 screws....set the tension to >"1"<, test the curtain to see if it will close from "0" with authority (not with a bang)
Repeat this proceedure until the curtain closes from "0" as stated above!
You can get the tension set back to "0" by the "jamb/hold" method also, so that it reads correctly!
Email me at
BSAUNDERS1@BAK.RR.COM (small caps of coarse) if these instructions do not help, or, you have more questions!
Have a nice day.........Bert

[ This Message was edited by: bertsaunders on 2006-12-08 12:17 ]

[ This Message was edited by: bertsaunders on 2006-12-08 12:22 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: