Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Viewfinder Masks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hporter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to the help I received in this forum - I purchased a 6x6 roll film back for my RB Series D 4x5! And I should receive a 6x9 model this week.

I was curious if anyone has made a mask for the viewing screen to work with the roll film backs? Was there anything ever available from the factory for this purpose?

I was thinking some craft cardboard dropped on the viewing glass cut to the right proportions might work well - and allow me to change easily between the two sizes of film backs - but if there is a better/easier way to do this I would love to learn about it.

Thanks again for the help,

Harold
disemjg

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently got a 3X4 Super D and there was a cardstock overlay on the groundglass to show the format for a roll film back. I noted that it was printed with the outlines, so it appears that the factory provided the masks with the roll backs. The only disadvantage would be that for a 6X7 or 6X9 back, there would not be an easy way to show the correct orientation of the frame if you rotated the camera back.
hporter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing the information about the mask that you have for your Graflex.

You bring up a very good point about the 6x9 and 6x7 format mask rotation. I have a couple old Kodak box cameras with the little silver viewfinder cube on the bed. The cube has a mask over it in the shape of a cross to account for the landscape to portrait transition. I suppose a mask could be cut like that for the same reason?
disemjg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, the mask could be cut with a double pattern, just like the GG in the camera has the corners paineted to show both vertical and horizontal formats. Seems like the thing to do, so maybe the mask I saw wasn't factory after all. I saved it and will dig it out to see how it was made, since I have not seen it for a while and my memory of how it was made may be faulty.

[ This Message was edited by: disemjg on 2005-07-31 07:38 ]
disemjg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dug out the mask I have; it is cut both ways so the GG can keep up with the orientation of the back. The mask is printed in white outlines on a dark cardstock base, and sure looks like something the factory would give you with a RF back when you bought it.
hporter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think it would be possible to take a digital photo of the mask?

I am just curious what the factory original looked like.

I ran a few rolls of film through the 6x6 and 6x9 backs this weekend. Guesstimating the 6x9 framing is much easier than the 6x6!

The 6x6 back works perfectly - the 6x9 has frame spacing troubles. I need to do a little research to see if it is possible to adjust this.

Thanks again for helping me with this.
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frame spacing unequal/frames overlap in Graphic roll film holders=CLA the gear train.
IF you do not have the correct manual then one can get by with a different Graphic roll film manual as the roll holders are basically the same except for the gears.

hporter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I tore my roll film back apart, armed with an exploded drawing from my Romney repair manual. I cleaned all of the parts and put a little lubricant from the tip of a toothpick on a couple of the gears and re-assembled (several times....) the holder.

Works like new! Thanks for the advice.

I also managed to cut a 6x6 and a 6x9 mask for the viewfinder on my RB series D. I used heavy craft paper - and although it looks a little rough - it works surprisingly well.

I am glad that I managed to find the roll film backs. It is quite fun using roll film on the camera. It makes experimenting with my Verito soft focus lens much easier.
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats on the success(es)!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: