Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Digital guys keep clear,a Graphic is about!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graflite

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sid:

I noticed on the front of the Standard 5, Number 73096, the "The Cathedrals Express" locomotive, that there appears to be a clock face with hour and minute hands (minus the numbers).

I've looked at different pictures of this fine locomotive and the hands are at different positions in the other pictures.

Is this really a "running" clock or are the "hands" manually turned to indicate something, such as departure or arrival (just a thought).

Thanks for your "time" in this matter.

"Graflite"

AFTERTHOUGHT:

Looking at more pictures, I see the "Sunny South Special" has the same set-up on the front and the King Edward I Number 6024 has a man adjusting the "hands".

I'm starting to think now that the "hands" might also be levers used to lock the front boiler door?

But, it sure looks like a clock when you first see it.

"Graflite"

[ This Message was edited by: Graflite on 2006-06-12 12:04 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Graflite on 2006-06-12 12:06 ]
Graflex Sid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct,Graflite,they are levers to open the boiler door (to clean out clinker after use).
A good example of this lever being 'tightened'is on P.5 of the 'contributors' section of http://www.steamdreams.co.uk

The hinge is on the right of the boiler.This is engine 6024 from the old Great Western Railways KING EDWARD I standing in London's Victoria station last year.

This picture was also taken with the 2x3 Crown.By the way,these are automatic changing pages so when you look you might find the picture moved.But it's in that area.
pv17vv

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And there is also this pic of an elderly Gentleman with his bag between his feet, shooting something around the piston assembly of loco 73096 with guess what ??? Looks like a genuine "oldtyme" TLR inside it's leather bag... Glad to meet you, Sir !
Graflex Sid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,I believe it was an old Rollei,a Flex or Cord,not sure.So much was happening that day around me,that this guy appears from nowhere,like 'extras' on a film set.
But that's what I like in pictures,people,Im not the one to photograph trains appearing in the distance with clouds of smoke.I leave that to other to do.

Best Regards.
Graflite

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I saw the gent with the TLR, I rather hoped it would be an Autocord (my favorite over a Roelli), and on days when I'm feeling lazy, tired or achy (or all three at once), and I don't feel like lugging a Speed or Crown around, I sling my Autocord over my shoulder and go out and do some "light" shooting.

"Graflite"
Graflex Sid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sentiments entirely,I think that's why I've taken to the 2x3 CROWN,resembling the weight of the Rolleiflex..I can also kick myself for selling off my Rollei "T" a few years ago.

Goodness,the AUTOCORD,that's a name like a 'blast from the past', bringing back memories of a famous name.

When I now look at that picture,I wish I took more notice of that guy with his camera,and found out what he was using.The trouble was,what you don't see is the vast crowd of people standing around,and the picture gives a false impression of the place being free.They say the camera doesn't lie.

The guy melted into the crowd as soon as he came.So Im not positive it was a Rollei.I just fell off my perch that someone was using 120 out of all the small digital cameras around on the day.
Graflex Sid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your comments on the railway pictures..

Anyone interest in railways might like to know that in the week,the famous ORIENT EXPRESS was moved from it's parking bay in London,and moved to a preservation line,where they shot pictures for the companies next brochure.
Judging by what I hear,large format still survives,perhaps 10x8 and the black cloth.

Two pictures showing the coaches parked in the leafy Hampshire village station of Ropley,and the photo crew at work, can be viewed under "New" at:
http://www.watercressline.co.uk
Graflite

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is sad that here in the USA that we don't seem to have a large number of older locomotives for us to view and appreciate as you do in the UK.

And it is also a shame that we don't use train travel for passengers more here in the USA as they do in the UK and Europe, however I do realize the scale in distance is quite different here in the US, and for most people it is quicker to just jump on a plane, but as for me I rather enjoy a good train ride.

I remember as a small child riding with my family to visit a friend of my mothers from her nursing college during the summer months, and I can still remember the people, the smells, the sights, the sounds and the motion of the train as it rolled along.

As I am writing this I am listening to a song called "The City of New Orleans" from Arlo Guthrie (son of Woody Guthrie), and I once again go back in time to those days again for a ride on the train of memories.

"Graflite"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: