Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

film slips out of grafmatic septums

View previous topic :: View next topic  
swaggerpuss

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,
I've just started messing around with 5x4 and have managed to get my hands on a grafmatic back. I've gone through the great instructions here on this site on how to operate this beast...but.....
I've noticed that after loading film into the septums, placing all six back where they belong and then holding the back in the vertical position, D ring up, and then cycling through the film (as a dry run) more often than not the film slips down from some of the septums, so when the unit is pushed down to load up the next film it catches the film that has slipped.

I hope you can figure out what I'm saying! Is there some that I'm doing wrong that is making the film slip down and partially out of a septum? Is there something I can do to stop this? (bar tape, glue or operating the device so the d ring faces down all the time?)

Thanks in advance,

Nigel

(upon examination, none are buckled or damaged that I can see).
RichS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, other people use theirs much more than I use mine, but here's something from a vague memory...

The septum's edges are rolled over to create the groove the film slides into. At the corners where the film sheet is inserted, the very corver of the rolled edge is bent down more to create a friction stop. Makes the film harder to put it, but keeps it in until you pull it out.

Look carefully at those entry edges. Many of mine were loose when I got them and had to be re-fitted to hold the sheets in place.

Be VERY careful when doing any bending or reshaping on spetums. They are very fragile and crack easily...

If you don't have any spare sheets, waste 6 so you can 'play' with a Grafmatic in the light...

glennfromwy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like Rich has it pretty well covered. I will just restate what has been said. Be very careful with the septums. One warped septum can put the whole thing out of business. The aluminum they are made of is hardened, so yes, it is easy to crack the little flanges.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2005-12-24 21:34 ]
swaggerpuss

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot... I thought I'd better ask about before messing around with the septums having heard how fragile they are.

Yep, they all needed to be pushed down a bit to hold the film in place.

Thanks again!

Nigel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: