Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Okay, here's an odd question...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Graflex.org Site Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vic valis

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...didn't think it applies to any of the other catagories, so I'll post it here. A few weeks ago I got to do some photography in an old San Francisco Victorian-turned bed-and-breakfast. In the main room of this joint wasone of them really big turn-of-the century portrait cameras on the rolling stand witht he Frankenstein-style knobs and pullies. If I'd known it was there, I would have staged a specific picture I've always wanted to recreate (Hurrell photographing Robert Montgomery in a mirror, with Montgomery holding the bulb for the shutter in his hand, the big camera looming over his shoulder and Hurrell in the background). Now it was a one-shot deal, and they charge for photography indoors... I'm cheap, but if I get desperate I might bite the bullet. Before I do, I was wondering if anyone knew of any photographer/museums/collectors/whatever in the San Francisco Bay Area who had one of these I could use to stage this photo around. How about it? Opportunity yomeet another Graflex enthusiast in the flesh (actually, kind of a scary thought). Or suggestions would be appreciated while I do some research into the possibility.

jeff

It said "good-bye."
David A. Goldfarb

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Deardorff and Kodak studio cameras like that often go for just a few hundred dollars (unless they happen to be in the New York area, where there's enough demand within driving distance), because they are too much of a pain to ship. The Deardorffs typically have a studio stand with two lead-weighted 13-foot steel columns and a cast iron base that add considerably to the shipping cost.

[ This Message was edited by: David A. Goldfarb on 2005-05-23 17:15 ]
vic valis

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm hoping someone knows of one in a cllection or on display somewhere... found out to shoot the camera in the bed-and-breakfast would cost more than $200. I could BUY one for that much.

jeff

It said "good-bye."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Graflex.org Site Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: