Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Focus tips

View previous topic :: View next topic  
evegir

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2001 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anyone out there who has built a better mouse trap re the XLRF focus tips? I believe there was a gent in Washington state who was making metal castings. Any ideas? I have a couple of dead bodies in my closet . . .!
antjam65

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2001 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this at:

http://www.greenspun.com/com/mliu/medformat/medpresscompo.html

"It's often possible to buy an XLRF body with a broken focus ring for a mere pittence because, obviously, the camera is useless. I bought one for parts that was so nice I decided to solve the problem by manufacturing replica focus rings out of polyurethane plastic which I now use on my two bodies. They work great. If anyone needs a focus ring or wants to know how to do it themselves, email me. Installation is generally simple.
(Bartn51729@aol.com)"

Maybe you could contact this guy. If you get anywhere with this problem, please post your findings.
Best of luck,
AJ
jdman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2002 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an XL that just works great in the summer, but at 40 degrees forget it. I have sanded, lubricated, dis-assembled, installed a speed handle. But for the life of me I cannot under stand what temperature has do do with plastic. This a great camera, but boy someone was really asleep at Graflex whan this camera was designed.Russ
DIYJohn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2002 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a correction is needed to the post made in December 2001. The person who makes the replica focus rings is Leonard Flanagan. His e-mail address is ldflan@hotmail.com . I have not tried one yet, but am ordering one now. Good luck!

John
antjam65

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,
Please let us know how the new focus ring works out.
Thanks,
AJ
blwallen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought three of these on eBay and did my routine housecleaning operation to freshen up the viewfinders. I suspect these were pool cameras for a newspaper. Focusing is different for each. One is very difficult to focus, one a bit better, and one is generally easy. I will do a further tear-down of the worst one and report the results.

TIP. Graflex obviously understood this was a problem and provided a focusing lever, which is a plastic ring that fastens over the knurled ring and has a short arm that extends at 90 degrees from this circle. This greatly improves focusing operations and as Road and Track used to say, the control fell readily to hand. If aesthetics aren't a major issue, I suspect you could make something like this from a large hose clamp and a strip of old inner tube for extra friction and to protect the knurled ring. You might find some kind of small lever/handle at the hardware store that had a threaded core with a matching machine screw that could be fastened to the clamp through a hole. Something like this:
http://uisacad.uis.edu/~bwall1/MPC/HMFocusRing.gif

Brian Wallen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Graflex XL Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: