Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

butcher RH-8

View previous topic :: View next topic  
djon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any suggestions for modifying (or just operating) RH-8 for maximum film flatness?

Ideas for sources and installation of extra rollers?

Anybody tried strips of Teflon tape?

John
Albuquerque
alecj

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duplicate postings are discouraged.

No known way to user modify the roll backs. The tolerances are too close and the back's design was changed between knob-wind and lever-wind.

Any tape, etc. you add has the chance to change the point of focus.
djon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's my impression that the extra rollers were the change that supposedly add flatness with the lever-wind backs...

...did something else contribute flatness?

It's significant that the new cases accept the old mechanisms and vice versa. And the rollers are in the case, not the mechanism.

A little extra pressure from teflon tape on the Graflex non-pressure plate shouldn't change long-side focus because that's regulated by the rails that rub against the emulsion on the 9cm (or 7cm) side.

Any slop has partially to do with curvature between those rails...bowing inward or outward along the 6cm dimension.

Since I can't control outward curve without a Rollei-style glass plate (easy, but too much dust), there's nothing to be lose by laying teflon tape on the "pressure plate" so long as it doesn't press outward past those rails.

If the problem is outward curve I guess I'm out of ideas.

Any ideas about sources for teflon tape? I know of only one, an archery supply catalog.

Henry

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you might be able to gimmick up some teflon tape by laying down a line of Scotch® double-sided, then over that a line of ordinary teflon tape as sold in any hardware store--plumbing supplies area. I would question the durability of such, though; that teflon tape seems pretty thin. But go ahead and try it on *your* RH and let us know how it works!
djon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not widely known: sticky-backed teflon tape is available in a variety of thicknesses and widths from 1/4" to several inches.

I've used it in several applications...it's far more durable than other tapes, the adhesive is very strong, and very, VERY slick. It's intended specifically to provide slick surfaces for machinery, not to bind anything.

I'm amazed, incidentally, at the crude chrome finish on rails against which the film emulsion runs. I'd apply teflon tape there, too, but that would change the focus by, um, .005"...as if that's critical in a Graflex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: