Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graflarger?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
R.H.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2001 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I use my 4x5 graflarger should I leave the light on when the shutter is closed, or turn it on/off all the time when printing? I'm just worried about the light going dead.
Les

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2001 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough call. Graphic Graflex Photography says they are instant starting so you can use the toggle switch, if that were true then you could use a normal timer.

The question then is, "What burns out a tube faster, the intial voltage spike, or the long run?"

Aristo made the tubes, and I know they are on the net, just don't know what the URL is at the moment. Maybe they have replacements? Hey stranger things have happened

daleraby

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2001 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would seem that I should find a 4x5 enlarger. I am watching several items on ebay that would give me that capability using the Graflok/Graflarger system. I've used cold light enargers before, so I am somewhat familiar with them. I wonder though how durable these things are... I gather they are fifty or more years old... is the cold light going to give me grief?

Also, many years ago I used a camera lens for an enlarger lens with 35mm. It worked, but quality was less than spectacular. I read something years ago about using the same lens to enlarge that one used to take the picture and that the lens aberations would then tend to cancel each other out. I found this to be a bit dubious, though I understand the theory.

Have any of you had experience with this sort of arrangement?

Dale A. Raby
CEO The Green Bay Web
http://www.thegreenbayweb.com
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2001 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two places I find rare bulbs
Top Bulb
and terrys@photomall.com (he lists Graflex)
may not be the one you need but----I found Terry under >Enlarger Lamps< Bert
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2001 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-12-05 09:08, daleraby wrote:
It would seem that I should find a 4x5 enlarger. I am watching several items on ebay that would give me that capability using the Graflok/Graflarger system. I've used cold light enargers before, so I am somewhat familiar with them. I wonder though how durable these things are... I gather they are fifty or more years old... is the cold light going to give me grief?

Also, many years ago I used a camera lens for an enlarger lens with 35mm. It worked, but quality was less than spectacular. I read something years ago about using the same lens to enlarge that one used to take the picture and that the lens aberations would then tend to cancel each other out. I found this to be a bit dubious, though I understand the theory.

Have any of you had experience with this sort of arrangement?

Dale A. Raby
CEO The Green Bay Web
http://www.thegreenbayweb.com

Can't address y'r question about Graflargers' life expectancy, but as far as aberrations coming and going cancelling, it just doesn't work.

Don't have to use a standard camera lens for enlarging, though it is indeed convenient. It is possible to mount an enlarging lens, designed to perform well relatively close up, on a shutter or in a shutter, and there you are. Better of both worlds.

Sad thing is there's a complete 2x3 Graflarger up on eBay right now, and I'm too broke to bid on it. Sigh.

Cheers,

Dan
daleraby

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2001 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just recieved my Graflarger... with the fluorescent tube smashed. The thing was shipped inside a wooden crate carefully line with styrofoam sheets fitted to enclose the merchandise completely... Oh well... now on to the search for a new tube or a else engineer something myself. Next time, I pay for the insurance!
Graflite

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2001 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your Graflarger, if it helps any the tube used in the Graflarger is an Aristo Gridlight W35, whether it is still be made by Aristo is another question.

I never could get a reply from Aristo when I sent them an e-mail a while back, I think I'll write a snail mail letter and see if they reply, details to follow if they do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: