Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Plate Holder Conversion to Film - Silver Bullet?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
semihemi

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a fit of rashness a few months ago I paid top dollar for 5x7 slotted holders - for plates. I have been keeping my eye out for "inserts" to turn the plate holders into film holders. Well, when recently cleaning out some truly hopeless photo junk I found myself walking towards the dumpster with an armload of decrepit 5x7 Graflex Corp. non-slotted film holders. Lo and behold, didn't the idea flash into my head that the metal sleeves in the non-slotted film holders looked suspiciously like they would fit right in to the slotted plate holder. I dismantled a non-slotted holder and sure enough, the dang sleeve dropped right in to the slotted plate holder and fit right under the little retractable tabs just as pretty as you please. Everything looks right. So, I am asking for a sanity check. Is it possible that I just converted a plate holder into a film holder? Or are there arcane issues about film plane registration or other frights that will rear up and bite? Any input is most welcome.

jc
Les

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some arcane registration problems between Graphic and Graflex holders/backs and a lot of band width had been spent on it.

I'll give you the same advice that Dr. Rudolf Kingslake told my friend when he ask him about similar arcane question.

"Why don't you try it and find out?"

I don't really think you'll have a problem as film sheaths do the same thing. They are simply stamped sheetmetal, no odd spacers or any voodoo about them.

I suggest a nice contrasty detailed subject, like a brick wall with strong rakish light on it. Shoot wide open, half way down the scale and f22.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: