Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Modern flash

View previous topic :: View next topic  
horla

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read most of the topics concerning the usage and setup of a modern flash on an older Graphic. I thin I have most of it....In my case I have a 1967 Super Graphic. My intention is to order a cable from Paramount – Now, I know I can order a cable that goes from the little port on the Vivitar 283 to the side port on the Super Graphic to sync up the flash. My two questions are, can I use a "hot shoe" female instead of the Vivitar cable or will this just complicate things? It would be nice to be able to connect up other types of flashes besides this one Vivitar that I have. My second question is, being that I do not have an older flash to test the camera with - I don't know if the use of the flash is dependent upon the use of Graflex lens that came with the camera (and has a bipost connected directly to the camera) or if I can use any lens (without a bipost) because the shutter is tripped electronically through the solenoid and thus that would also trip the flash. I have batteries for my SG so I know the electronics work. I would love to use my Linhof-Schneider 150mm lens in place of the 135mm Graflex lens on occasion (of course I don't have a cam for it, but that's another problem). Any advice would be appreciated.
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only the Graflex 1000 shuttered lens will sync thru the side contacts on the camera body.
With the lens removed from the camera looking at the front standard lens opening you will see two electrical contacts along the top of the opening. Corresponding contacts are on the back of the lens board.
Any lens mounted on a super graphic compatible lens board could be modified so that thel lens flash contacts mated with the flash contact in the camera.
The camera flash contacts are: flash; selonid; front standard frame and lens board are the common or third contact.

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2004-11-23 09:54 ]
horla

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having never really considered using flash with my large format cameras (stubborn I know) I never really noticed that my Schneider has a flash-sync connector on it as well. The only problem now is, what kind of cable connects to my Schneider lens? .....The connector is really small....
David A. Goldfarb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chances are your lens is in a Synchro-Compur shutter (unless it is a newer lens in a Copal shutter, but it works the same way in this regard), which just has an ordinary PC connector, like most 35mm and medium format cameras made until relatively recently when dedicated flash got complicated. You just need a cable to go from your flash to the PC socket on the shutter. If the shutter has options like "M" and "X", use "X" for electronic flash. "M" is for flashbulbs.

For some strange reason, it's kind of hard to find a basic PC-to-PC cord these days, but Nikon makes one (there is a straight version and one with a coiled cord).
horla

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: