Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gundlach Korona

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Non-Graflex Cameras
View previous topic :: View next topic  
km

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

about a month ago while at the old tractor and engine in Portland, IN I found a gundlach korona view II on a flea market vendors table. No lens or lensboard, but the rest of the camera looked excellent after I cleaned off the dust and dirt. Brought it home, made a lensboard and mounted a schneider xenar 135mm on it. it takes excellent pictures. now, the question. I have been searching for information about the age of this camera. I know they were made from 1909 to 1928 with the Gundlach name and a few more years by Seebold. this one has serial number 174 stamped on the base and on the folddown frame. I can't find a serial number list for them anywhere. was wondering if anyone knows the age of this camera http://www.keithmillerphotography.com/show/2035.jpg
danimal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Km,
I think that the records of the Gundlach company are long gone. I've got an 8x10 and it would be interesting to find out when it was built. Let me know if you find out anything regarding the serial number list.
Dan
km

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,
thanks for that information. I figured that was the case, but it never hurts to ask. The korona isn't the most versatile camera but it is fun to use a camera that is nearly 100 years old and takes good pictures. I don't think my Nikon D70 will come close to matching that. I did find a gundlach catalog/manual from 1915 that lists all of their cameras and lenses. It has been interesting reading. I plan to scan it when I have time. that way I can save the original and use a copy. also thought there may be some other people who would be interested in copies.
I hope to scan some negatives soon so I can post pictures taken by the Korona.
Enjoy your 8x10
have a good day
Keith
Les

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason right around WWI camera manufacturers started selling their view cameras with a nickel plate finish. By the mid 20s they gave that up and everything went back to brass.

Also as time progressed the knobs tend to go away from brass and toward manmade materials...bakelite, hard rubber, etc.

Based on those very variable facts I'd guess the camera was made in the late teens/early twenties.

The stamped number you found was to aid assembly.
km

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Les, From the comments here and my reading at other sources I have concluded that my camera had to be made 1922 or earlier. If information I have is accurate the Korona was made with nickle plated steel hardware from 1909 till 1922 and later ones had nickle over brass. and maybe some witb brass. Also an interesting note, in the 1915 catalog that I have it is not listed in 4x5. 5x7 is the smallest listed in 1915. I am wondering if it was introduced in 4x5 later than it was in the larger sizes. I guess my couriosity will keep me looking for more information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Non-Graflex Cameras All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: