Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Signs of the times?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This doesn't really fit large format, but we don't have a medium format area.

Item: Hasselblad's new owner is stopping manufacture of "V" 'blads. That's 6x6 reflexes.

Item: seen on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15247&item=3845997836&rd=1

What a low price!

I'm not ready to run around screaming that the end is nigh, but it seems closer.

Cheers,

Dan
RichS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't look all that close at it, but considering it's format, the looks of it's condition and the fact that the owner said it would need a complete overhaul to be functional, I wouldn't have paid any more for it...

It's a major shame about Hasselblad... Decades ago I had dreams about owning a 500C(something) system. But that was only until I saw the Mamiya's!

It's amazing that Hasselblad hung on this long with the compettion from Japan. I still have dreams of owning a Mamiya RB67 Pro SD system someday, but could easily pass up a Hassy system.

Still, it's sad news...
Nick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My feeling is why would anybody pay that much? It sure doesn't look collectiable. For a user it's going to take a lot of work. I've bought things that need work but always at prices that when you add the work it's still a good deal.

Hassleblad has hung around on mystic. Rental availabilty. Plus once you've bought into the system you aren't going to want to write off the big investment. Those Mamiyas sound nice but add a lens and the weight can be higher then a press camera.
danimal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan,
in my experience as a collector it seems that medium format cameras in general and 'Blads in particular are trending downward in price. I assume that's an extension of the softening of prices for all professional film camera gear that's been going on for the past few years.
    I was at a Professional Photographer's Association convention a couple of weeks ago and one of the speakers joked that they coludln't sell their film cameras any more. Myself, I've been quietly buying good gear that meets my needs. It's a good time to be a collector.
Dan

[ This Message was edited by: danimal on 2004-10-28 14:33 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: