Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Am I Missing Out?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-10-24 07:34, Graflex Sid wrote:
Careful now,gentlemen,not another war,I know it's coming up to election time down your way,but keep the forum a 'no-go zone',otherwise we will have to melt down our Graphics into tin hats (flak jackets on sale at your local ex-military store).

Ex-Army Sid.(ready for call-up if needed on the home front...to defend the great name of Graflex).Visa at the ready!.

Just remembered-you have to be photographed coming into the country now-years ago they would have used a 'Graphic'or with it's name on it!

Um, Sid, mahogany doesn't melt. Nor does mahoganite.

As for Alecj's teasing Les, well, Alec is one of our favorite curmudgeons and Les sometimes needs to be teased a little. Let them play in peace.

Cheers,

Dan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sid;
I wish I had noticed this thread when you first posted.
In the closet sits a lovely Pacemaker Crown 4x5. It's in ex- condition, I aquired it that way 30-odd years ago, and all I've done to it is mount a Graflok back that came my way and replace a couple of parts I broke out of ignorance. If I have to shoot a landscape or an ID shot it gets the call.
Right next to it there is a pair on Annys. I bought both as wrecks with the idea of
putting together a proper camera to shoot WW II re-enactments. As I learned more (mostly here) I found that there was a LOT of little differences between my chrome-trimmed 1940 Anny, and my black paint '45 Anny. Since historicial re-enacting is about getting history right, I HAD to get these two cameras right, along with flashguns, mounts, lenses, ect. These cameras (especially the '45) get much more use than the Crown.
So you can do both; buy that perfect camera or get a wreck right. I've had lots of fun either way.
Graflex Sid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you,Top,for the letter (as above)interesting reading-of course you are right,it's like people building old sports cars from scratch (very popular here)and taking pride in the finished results..

..others of course,don't like messing about under the bonnet or any other part.I just prefer the simple maintenance on the near perfect one(s)and leave it at that.

Like the human race,we are all different,thank goodness!.
danimal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, but some of us are more different than the others! Like the bumper sticker says "You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because you're all the same".
zparras

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gang

I bought a Speed Graphic from a dealer near my house and it's in perfect working condition. I was able to go out and shoot right away and get some great results. I didn't have to tinker with it and frankly that was good since I had alot to learn about the camera and the new film size. My point is that becuase I had a Speed in perfect working order I could really appreciate how wonderful and easy to use the camera is. I have told people that this camera is so amazing that if it didn't exist, someone would invent it becuase of how useful and easy to use it is. I can also appreciate how good the photographers from the 30's, 40's and 50's were when they used this type of camera. I don't think anything is lost in the whole Graflex experience by not rebuilding one of these cameras. Since I now have a great fondness and appreciation for these cameras I would be willing to buy a beater and rebuild it, but it will have to measure up to my perfectly working Speed. I think as long as we all enjoy using these wonderful cameras and have fun is all that really maters.

Take care gang and great forum and web site.

Graflex Sid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done,Z.
That's what I like to hear-straight out into the wide World with the camera complete,fancy us going into a shop & ordering a modern camera and the assistant presenting you with a box of parts and instructions saying "Put it together yourself"...no thanks,lifes too short to go down that path.

A Graphic in the hand today & start shooting like the press of the past.
clnfrd

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think that diversification is the spice of life. I enjoy having perfectly working cameras to go out and take great photos with....AND a camera...shutter...electronic flash...or whatever, that needs attention....something to tinker with on those days when your creativity has taken a hike. Spending a day repairing a shutter, for example, seems to put everything back into perspective and get the creative juices flowing again....at least for me. Fred.
djon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only 61 and I don't relish improvising film and chemistry. My main thing's the image. But I do like these cameras as objects.

I've loved baby Graphics since the first one I borrowed 35 years ago (uncoated Tessar, I've just digitized the old Weston-inspired negatives and am amused by the flare from wet rocks and sand)...but I know for sure that for a mere $10K the new digital Mamiya medium format will blow everything from 35mm to 4X5 away (except for RF Leicas, and for that there's Epson-Voigtlander), while being no larger than those monster "35mm" digital Canons.

If wishes were horses, this would be 1972. But I guess I'm not the first person with that kind of idea.

As simple fiddly objects, Graflex cameras are big fun. They remind us of how little technology it really takes to produce fine images...little more than some wood, tin, leather, a spring or two and a hunk of glass (which Gallileo dealt with a long time ago).
TimKean

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I like my Graphics like my cars-old but completely usable. My 4x5 (my first graphic) is showing quite a bit of character, but is completely operable. My miniature is in much better shape, but it doesn't work any better than the 4x5. I'm not afraid of repairs, but I really like the idea of going right out and shooting with my "new" camera.

[ This Message was edited by: TimKean on 2004-11-30 08:51 ]
SoCal Dave

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my Crown in excellent condition from an older gentleman in Hemet. It's just easier for me to buy the camera in working condition. This way I can concentrate on taking photos with this wonderful LF camera.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: