Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

An independent Graflex sales/WTB forum now exists!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the heck... I think there's enough Graflex users and equipment around to support a fer sail/WTB/exchange forum. We all know it won't happen here (and I am NOT criticizing!). I do think there's enough people interested that one should be created. So I thought this would be the place to ask???

Does anyone else think an independent forum for Graflex sails is a good idea?

And I'll say right up front that I do NOT want any conflict or competition with graflex.org. This site, in my opinion, is the premier Graflex and LF site (especially the forum) and I would do nothing to hurt it. I'll even go so far that if Leigh or Les thinks it might interfere with graflex.org, I'll just shut up and forget the whole idea!

So, what do the rest of you think?

And in case you're wondering what I'm talking about specifically, you can see the bare-bones, not ready for prime time, almost setup but not quite ready to go, in-process version at:
http://www.southbristolviews.com/graflexchange/index.php

If this turns out to be a bad idea, then it will simply vanish without a trace...

[ This Message was edited by: RichS on 2004-09-05 00:21 ]

[ This Message was edited by: richs on 2004-09-06 23:00 ]
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, for one, think this is a good idea. I have surplus stuff I would like to offer to fellow members of the Graflex community. I just have a queasy feeling about going the ePAY route. Fred.
RichS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-09-05 05:56, clnfrd wrote:
I, for one, think this is a good idea. I have surplus stuff I would like to offer to fellow members of the Graflex community. I just have a queasy feeling about going the ePAY route. Fred.

Thanks Fred. "ePay" is one of the reasons I thought this would be a good idea. There are so many little items that seem to be a waste for auctions. Filter rings, screws, etc. All the little stuff someone might have extras of and someone else needs. I may be selling a couple of cameras soon and I don't even want to go 'auction' even for these bigger items...

I did a bit of checking today, and finally figured out how to get rid of "yourdomain.com" in the header
Looks like the forums are fully functional and I would appreciate some people giving it a test. There's no way to tell if it will work unless someone actually tries to use it

And, any discussion of the Graflexchange should be there and not here! Here would be just for whether or not the Graflexchange should exist at all...

Thanks...
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a great idea. I don't know why a site that's purely for the exchange of merchandise would be a conflict.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
Les

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see any more of a conflict than Photo.net or any of the other forums that do 'fer sal e"

I'm in.

Les
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-09-05 09:16, RichS wrote:
Quote:

On 2004-09-05 05:56, clnfrd wrote:

Thanks Fred. "ePay" is one of the reasons I thought this would be a good idea. There are so many little items that seem to be a waste for auctions. Filter rings, screws, etc. All the little stuff someone might have extras of and someone else needs. I may be selling a couple of cameras soon and I don't even want to go 'auction' even for these bigger items...

I did a bit of checking today, and finally figured out how to get rid of "yourdomain.com" in the header
Looks like the forums are fully functional and I would appreciate some people giving it a test. There's no way to tell if it will work unless someone actually tries to use it

And, any discussion of the Graflexchange should be there and not here! Here would be just for whether or not the Graflexchange should exist at all...

Thanks...

Rich, I've been on eBay as a buyer since '97 and as a seller off and on since not much later. Its nice to fantasize about getting odds and ends at low prices. I do that on eBay. Also, from time to time, from vendors like KEH and Equinox.

From the buyer's point of view, getting little thingys at a camera show is preferable to getting them via the 'net because of shipping costs. These are a killer for small transactions, and will always have to be paid for small transactions via the 'net regardless of how much the seller pays in transactions costs.

From the seller's point of view, sites like photo.net and the proposed graflexgoodies.??? are much less attractive than eBay. eBay delivers more and hungrier and, dare I say it, dumber prospects than a specialized little site like photo.net can. For those of us who are in it for the money -- that includes me, when I sell I do it because I want $$$ more than the item on offer and I want an unfair price too -- eBay is the only place to go.

Still, if you can assemble sellers who are dumb or "not in it for the money" in a place that's hidden from dumb buyers, yeah, that would be nice for those of us who buy. It might even be worth trying to arbitrage between graflexgoodies and eBay.

Cheers,

Dan
Rangemaster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I offered to do this a few months back, I have the software, that allows posting of ad's and pictures in a classified format, and I offered to host the site for free, I already have paid for it and have several gigs of server space due to us owning a webhosting business, not trying to rain on anybodys stuff, but we have it available and I am happy to contribute a place to exchange products and such.

Dave

RichS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-09-05 17:22, Dan Fromm wrote:
Rich, ...
Still, if you can assemble sellers who are dumb or "not in it for the money" in a place that's hidden from dumb buyers, yeah, that would be nice for those of us who buy. It might even be worth trying to arbitrage between graflexgoodies and eBay.

Cheers,

Dan

Dan,

epay will always have a place for smart/dumb sellers & buyers. That's what auctions are all about and I have no inclination to compete with them.

What finally gave me the push to install phpBB and test things (have wanted to for a long time) was a purchase I made just a few days ago. The seller was looking for the right home for a camera. That's difficult to do at an auction site, and very often the 'right home' doesn't have the finances to make the purchase. Auction sites also don't have the capability for wanted ads.

I have hopes that Graflexchange will be more a place where people can find minor things that are very hard to locate, and place those special items in the 'right home'. It's a totally different concept than an auction site, where money is _not_ the only object...

I know that I'm far from 'normal' in quite a few areas I have at least 4 cameras that are very special to me (maybe a fifth on the way ). I would never place these cameras at auction! I would give them away before I did that. The right home for them would mean a lot to me...
RichS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. And a special 'thanks' to those who registered and Mike for posting! At least now I know everything seems to work.

So I guess we'll make it 'Official' and I'll add the link to the page on the main menu.

At worst I'll have too many problems with people who don't understand "Graflex only", or that other unmentionable problem... But we'll see how things go...

I'm off to do some web updating

And Dave,

I had forgotten about the offer you made a while back. Memory is not one of my good qualities... I started this because of the way I feel about cameras and the special circumstances surrounding my recent purchase, and the longing to set up phpBB... I'm sorry that I forgot and maybe I should have contacted you first? But now that Graflexchange is up and running, I'm going to see how it works out. If you still want to start one, that's up to you. And who knows if the whole idea is even worth it? But if you want to put me out of business, be my guest But if you're not mad at me, remember that GG is a Graflex oriented item that could be advertised on the forum

Rangemaster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,

I am not mad at all, I just offered to set it up, after the many years of managing message systems, I don't want to manage one again, my old partner is trying to get me back into it, and I am so busy grinding glass right now, that I feel like a one armed paper hanger, with out glue, last month we sold over 300 viewing screens! we are working very diligantly trying to get the new shop up and running before winter sets in, so we can speed production time up and still maintain the quality that we have become known for.

If I can help with space or software, just ask, and I will do what I can to help out, if you need any help...feel free..

Dave

MikeS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would see a small specialized swap board more as a service oriented thing, than a for profit thing. I mean, if I want to sell something because I want to make bunches of money, I'd go to ebay (as I do for the lensboards I make)

I would see it a swap board more as a place friends could let other friends know what excess they have that somebody else might want, or post wants that they have. I don't know about others here, but I for one would rather sell something to somebody that was a part of the 'group' at a reasonable price, and know it's going to go to good use, then try and make a huge profit to somebody that wants it to chop up for some purpose, or something like that.

I also see the want postings as a good thing. For example, If I needed a part (say a sportsfinder frame from a pre-anny speed), it's quite possible that somebody has one of those laying around that they have no use for, and seeing the post will jog their memory of it, etc.

jsiladi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I have a few (apparently non sellable) items I'd like to part with...

Jeff
RichS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the forum is up, running and apparently working as advertised. All we need is people who are looking for stuff and people trying to get rid of stuff.

I also see no problem is offering "service" as an item. If someone specifically repairs a graflex product, I see it pretty much the same as an "item"...

Anyone wanting to check it out or use it, go to:
http://www.southbristolviews.com and click on "Graflexchange" on the left-side menu.

If you'd like a direct link without the frames (as I do for here) you can use:
http://www.southbristolviews.com/graflexchange/index.php

And since it's up and running, any discussion of the forum itself should happen there and not here. Although as an indendent entity, if someone wants to talk about it here, I suppose there's nothing wrong with that?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: