Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Modifying Graflex back into quasi Graflok back?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All.

I was reading thru the messages, and came across one where somebody mentions that the graflok back off of a Graphic View is the proper size to fit on a Super D (or any of the 4x5 RB's I would imagine). I pulled out my GVII and sure enough, it's the same size as the rotating part of the RB back!

Well, after looking at the RB back some more I realized that it wouldn't be very hard at all to modify it into being a quasi-graflok back (the back on my Super D is one of the later ones with upper & lower sliders, both angled inward a bit, just like normal graflok sliders) without adding any other back to the camera. I come from a manufacturing background, and used to have a full machine shop at my disposal, so I tend to look at some things differently than others, but I think this will work:

If on the graflex back that's currently on the Super D, I were to remove the felt, machine a groove where it's supposed to be, as well as machining off the end that normally fits into the groove on graflex back accessories, then moved the parts that hold the sliders inward a bit (I would either add shims between them and the top/bottom of the back, or just make up new pieces all together) is there any reason that it wouldn't work?

I realize that it won't be a 'true' graflok back in that it wouldn't be able to attach a focusing screen, or slip cut film holders underneath the non-existant focusing screen, but for using grafmatics, roll film holders, Polaroid backs, etc (basically any back you would normally attach with the graflok sliders) is there any reason this won't work?

Has this been done in the past? I have to believe either it has, or I'm missing something, and it won't work, as I find it hard to believe I'm the first person to look at the back and come up with this idea. Any comments would be appreciated.

[ This Message was edited by: MikeS on 2004-08-13 02:07 ]
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with the late-model "Graflex" back, but there's no reason that you can't make a workable "Graflok" back, and the method you outline ought to work.

The "Graflex" retaining slide (at least on the older backs I've seen) is straight across, while the "Graflok" sliders have two lobes that retain the accessory. If you have to form new sliders, you can make workable ones from .064-in. brass.

You can form the little hooks that hold the "Graflok" focusing panel in place out of thick brass angle, but you'd have to cut recesses into the rails to accommodate them.
MikeS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the reason that the real graflok sliders have 2 parts that come down to hold the back, rather than a single edge like the graflex back has is for clearance for the focusing panel. For my uses, and to simplify the modification I'm not as concerned with fitting the focusing panel onto the back, or being able to use regular cut film holders (the kind that hold 2 sheets of film and slide under the focusing panel), but more interested in being able to use regular 'graflok' type accessories like grafmatics, Polaroid, and roll film backs, all of which would be held by the original sliders.

Part of the reason for wanting to use the original sliders is to keep the back looking as original as possible. One thing I need to look into further is the focusing plane, I want to try and get it matched as closely as possible so the amount of adjustment of the groundglass would be minimal.

Speaking of adjusting the groundglass, I know on the Super D it's adjustable, but is it also adjustable on earlier models as well?

t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you'll never want to use cutfilm holders, there's certainly no reason to accommodate a spring-loaded focusing panel. The logic behind my suggestion for a full modification is that it would allow you to use the "Graflok" focusing panel to adjust the reflex groundglass.

The two "Graflex" reflex models I've examined both have a similar arrangement for adjusting the height of the groundglass. I'd be surprised if any model designed to accept a variety of film and plate holders did not have some means of making this adjustment.
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fellas all of you,email me at
bsaunders1@bak.rr.com
Bert
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: