Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rangefinder...my general stupidity

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scramble

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.
Ok I've had this Crown Graphic for a while and love it. I've only been using it as a view camera and would like to start handholding and thus using the rangefinder.

Now, being of the younger generation, these rangefinder thingys are a mystery to me despite having read this site including all relevent messages and downloading the manual....It's still not crystal clear to me.

The firs thing I need to work out is if I have the correct cam for the lens. I have 2 lenses, a 135 (which I'll probably use more often with the rangefinder) and a 90. Now I have worked out that the cam is located on the inside kind of under the top of the camera where the top rangefinder is located but the illustration isn't clear so I have no idea which part the cam is or if there is even one in there at all as I have no idea what it looks like and nothing appears to budge out from that area.

Otherwise, I can get the red and green images together only at about 3 or 4 feet but further away, on the wall they're still a bit apart and won't go further together.

I'm pretty sure I could use it fine and set it up for the correct lens and everything if i could sus out this cam stuff and ensure that the whole thing is calibrated in the first place. Is there some kind of "idiots guide to Graflex" or some place I ought to take it that anyone can suggest because I'm a little at a loss to know what to do?

Thanks for taking time to read such a convoluted post

George
hmartin@tns.net

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi George
I may be able to help. But first I need to know if we have similar Crown Graphics. Do you have a top mounted rangefinder in the 4x5 size?
What manual do you have? My manual has a graphic and photo of a cam. What number viewfinder mask do you have? Do you have any installed 'infinity stops'? Also, do you have any mounted 'focusing scales' on your rail?
Harry
scramble

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Harry

Thanks for your reply.
It's a top mounted rangefinder. My manual is the standard graflex guidebook that I downloaded from manualsrus and the picture is only very tiny and very dark so I can't see....nothing seems to be removable inside my camera in that location anyway.
I have 2 infinity stops, one on each side of the rails and I've not, as yet moved either of them. There are 2 scales with numbers on: One fixed on the outside and the inside one on the rail that moves with focusing.

Thanks again, I look forward to hearing any help you can offer.

George
hmartin@tns.net

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2001 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi George
I'm assuming you have the 4x5 size camera. The viewfinder mask for your 135mm lens should be the #4 mask. The 135mm CAM needed is P5. It is approximately 24mm long x 11mm high x 0.75mm thick (variable). I don't have the 90mm mask or CAM.
I bought the 'Graflex Service Instructions and Parts List Section 7' Manual from WD Service in 1979. It's for "45" Pacemaker Crown & Speed Graphic with Graphic Rangefinder. Okay, if you will email your mailing address I will mail you a copy of the two or three pages of the Rangefinder Operation. It shows an exploded view of the rangefinder and explains how to remove and install CAMs. After you receive the copies I will fill in any blanks on this post. Of course, my Username is my email address.
Harry
P.S. I do plan on scanning those pages later and put them on my web site.
hmartin@tns.net

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2001 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George
The copy sheets are in the mail.
Harry
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2001 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the brochure sheets on inserting the cam in top RF---can send them E-Mail---have seperated the photos from the text--so there
are about 6 photos and 3 or 4 pages of text!
For clarity I retyped all the text, so it is all very easy to read, and the photos are sharp! Bert
scramble

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2001 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both....you're both very helpful
My e-mail address is scramble@totalise.co.uk

Al the best,
George
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: