Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

filter sizes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kim

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2001 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can somebody explain filter sizes? Especially the sizes labeled Series I-VII

are there compatible filters in metric sizes? or do adapter rings need to be bought?

thanks

Kim Hartshorn
Les

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2001 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the disorganized good old days, there were so many different lenses and sizes of lenses that they (never did figure who they were) decided to come up with 4 standard sizes for filters and then make slip on filter adapters from 3/4 to 2 5/8" dia in increments of 1/16" and in some cases 1/32"

from 3/4"-1 3/16" was series V
From 1 1/4-1 21/32" was series VI
from 1 11/16-2" was series VII
2 1/16-2 5/8" was series VIII.

With these 4 standard sizes you could fit just about any lens made from 1850 to 1950 whether or not there were threads on the end of the lens.

For example, there were a total of 25 fractional filter adapters at one time, and just to confuse things, a few lenses and camera had their own numbered filter adapter or ring. The 80mm WF Ektar came with a no27 filter ring. Infact all of the WF series were design to accept Series Filters directly

They also made a series IV for 8mm & 16mm movie cameras and later on gave the designation of series IX for what had been a special order sized filter. This size is used on a lot of pro 35/70mm movie cameras and lenses for 8x10 and larger cameras.

At some point, filter adapters measured (or at least labeled) in mm came around. But remember that dimention is for the lens, not the filter. The filter will still be the same. The trick is to measure the outside of your lens and then find the right adapter. Most of the time you can get by with finding one 1/16" smaller or larger and "adjust" the tabs to fit your lens.

[ This Message was edited by: Les on 2001-10-09 16:04 ]
Kim

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2001 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK this is exactly what I am looking for, but I am still confused. Right now, I am specifically trying to figure out how to get a UV or protective filter for my Koni-Omega 90mm lens. The manual says it takes a
Series VI filter. If I buy something on ebay that says it is a Series VI filter, will it fit the lens or will I have to find the associated adapter ring also? There are filter threads on the lens, is there a standard Series VI threaded filter? I have just started looking, but I have not found any sort of ad yet that sells any filters in Series V-VII...only metric threaded....although I have found some metric threaded to series VII adapters.

Thanks again

Kim
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-10-09 16:53, Kim wrote:
OK this is exactly what I am looking for, but I am still confused. Right now, I am specifically trying to figure out how to get a UV or protective filter for my Koni-Omega 90mm lens. The manual says it takes a
Series VI filter. If I buy something on ebay that says it is a Series VI filter, will it fit the lens or will I have to find the associated adapter ring also? There are filter threads on the lens, is there a standard Series VI threaded filter? I have just started looking, but I have not found any sort of ad yet that sells any filters in Series V-VII...only metric threaded....although I have found some metric threaded to series VII adapters.

Thanks again

Kim

Kim:

Series filters are unthreaded. They drop into a filter adapter, which is threaded internally, and are held in place by a filter retainer that screws into the adapter. Why don't you take your KO normal lens to a camera store and see if in fact it will accept a standard filter? Also, why don't you post a question about what will fit it on photo.net or on the medium format mailing list? Sorry, I can't give directions to the mail list.

Also, sooner or later (yes, I know, you want to use it RIGHT NOW) there will be a camera "show" (= flea market) within reach. These things are infested with people who sell all manner of filters and adapters and will be able to help you.

Good luck,

Dan
Les

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with Koni-omega at all but some preliminary searching (ebay) came up with a photo of a 90mm f3.5 lens.

This looks like it should take a standard threaded filter rather than fiddle faddle with series filters.

I say Dan's right, take it to one of the older camera stores in town and see what they can set you up with. YOu could wait for the inevitable camera show, but you could still use the camera right now.

Infact I know a lot of people that refuse to put a UV/ protective filter on a lens. They say, Hey I spent big money to get my coated apo-super dippy lens for it's perfomance why would I cover it with a $10 piece of glass that would degrade that high performance?

Henry

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because $10 is a good investment to protect a big money lens, and there are high-quality filters available that will not degrade lens performance.
Also, Kim, I happen to be a big fan of series filters, and specifically series VI filters (which fit the Graphex shutters as well as many others). Once you have acquired (at camera shows, or the junk drawer at a camera store) the right-size slip-ring/retaining ring sets for your lenses, all you need is one set of the series VI filters for all your lenses. This is a very sensible system approach, much more efficient and economical than having to acquire, say, a set of screw-on filters in each of 49mm, 52mm, 55mm, etc. sizes, as is typical in the 35mm camera world. In fact, the system is SO sensible, efficient, and economical that it's no surprise the manufacturers abandoned it [editorial comment!].

[ This Message was edited by: Henry on 2001-10-10 03:15 ]
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-10-09 16:53, Kim wrote:

Thanks again

Kim

Sorry to be coming back at you again.

It turns out that there is or was a Koni Omega mailing list (go to http://www.cocam.co.uk/KO_Archive/KoniData/threads.html) on which your problem (filters for 90mm lens) has been discussed. Turns out that most of those lenses are threaded for 49mm filters AND have a female Ser. VI adapter screwed in. The Ser. VI can be unscrewed and then the lens will take a 49mm filter. Go look at the archived messages.

Cheers,

Dan
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so in other words, that sounds like a 49-to-44mm step-ring (i.e., 49 male threads into the lens with 44 female threads to the outside (series VI threads=44 mm). THAT'S handy! All you need is a series VI retaining ring and filter(s) and you're in business; OR, just use 49 mm straight on, as you said. Plenty of options here!
Kim

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow

Sometimes it's just to easy...I unscrewed the 49mm uv from my OM1 and screwed it right onto the Koni! Thanks alot! I am just now going to check out the site, my own search had not turned it up.

Thanks again,

BTW I found the discussion on the series filters interesting and I think I will pick some up in any case

Kim Hartshorn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: