Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flash for pacemaker

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zmanphotog

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am wanting to start shooting with my Speed Graphic Pacemaker and really don't want to use flashbulbs. But, I would like for my camera to still look very retro using some type of strobe unit that would give me the same results of a powerful bulb unit. Any suggesions? Are there Strobe units that would have reflectors similar to the old graflex bulb units that would work with my Pacemaker, and still have the appearance as an old news camera? I just don't want to use a Nikon strobe, etc. to take away from the retro appearance. An internal battery unit would be nice, but if I have to get something with an external battery pack that would work too.
Jack5541

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the photo in this article...

http://www.graflex.org/articles/experiences/chris-french/

I think that those are Stroboflash heads mounted on Graflite battery cases. This set-up would work and maintain the "retro/period" look of the 1950's. I have seen alot of the Stoboflash set-ups on ePay, but haven't actually gotten one or ever used one. I've wondered how well they work.

Another option might be one of Graflite 250 strobe set-ups, but again you'd do well to find one in complete shape, i.e. flash handle,reflector head,cords,battery pack. I've never used one of these either, but I think they were made into the 1970's after Singer took over Graflex, so it is possible to find one in good condition.

However, be aware that the cost of the batteries might be a little prohibitive for both of the above 2 options. Perhaps someone else can post with experiences using these units.
RichS

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you serach through the forum, you'll find a few discussions about using electric flash on the Graphics. Even at least one person trying to convert a bulb flash to strobe as I remember...

And the Strobe 250 (and 500) came in an "RG" version that uses standard size D Nicad batteries which can be replaced fairly easily. Again, a search through this forum will bring up the details of that... They do some available now and then...
Les

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and "RG" version would be the only way to go as the normal Stobos use either 250v or 510v non rechargable batteries that run about $71 a pop.

You might also want to look into the Heiland line of stobe equipment. Some use replaceable Nicads others use D cells. Either way you'll be running an uphill battle because.

A. The biggest flash of the day is not as powerful as a Metz 60 or a Norman 400. and
B. the capacitors are at least 35 years old and probably should be replaced.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: