Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BC Cartridge

View previous topic :: View next topic  
worldphoto

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3815334662
Not many of these show up any more on eBay. I have two working units, so my only interest is if any are still available. It is buying a pig in a poke, but that's part of the fun on eBay!
Harry

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just what type of cap was used in the BC cartridges? Anything you can buy off-the shelf?
Top (who's STILL looking for a retail source of BAT83 Sshottky diodes to make px-625 adapters with....)
worldphoto

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of my capacitors that came with my units were and are still working so I really can not say if they are still available. I'm an amateur radio operator and have used a lot of old tube type radio gear and I've never had to replace a capacitor(s). But it is a chance that it may be missing or not working! It is a pig in a poke.
Harry

[ This Message was edited by: worldphoto on 2004-05-12 10:28 ]
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be glad to know more about this battery/capacitor cartridge business. I got my "Graflite Jr." in 1961 or thereabouts, and I do not believe a BC kit was available for it then (if one had been, I'd have bought it).

I bet you could make such a kit with an electrolytic capacitor and a handful of other parts from Radio Shack. If I were doing it, and I'd probably plan on using a 9-volt battery (or two of them, in series) to charge the cap. The BC "folding fanflashes" of my youth used a 22.5-volt radio battery, but I haven't seen one of those since Hector was a pup.

Did the Graflex BC kit work with regular flashlight cells, so you could still use your solenoid and "Focuspot," or did it use a small higher-voltage battery that would not safely power your accessories?
worldphoto

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The B-C (Battery-Condenser..now called capacitor..) Flash system was introduced by Busch, Jen, and Kodak in 1951. The Graflex Cat. No. 2795 for it's blue colored B-C Cartridge (I have 2 of them). The Eveready No. 412 NEDA 215 battery (22.5 volts)(rectangle) is available through Radio Shack (special order). A crescent shaped wood filler is taped with carpet double-sided tape to fit an old round type C shaped battery in cartridge.
Harry
tr
I use my solenoid to work the shutter when I'm using one flash in my #2773 battery case and BC Cartridge. Then I can fire with my red button that's on the battery case. Also used without a flashbulb to fire the shutter. Multi-flash require the Graflite Jr and no solenoid usage.. It works for me! Haven't we done this before?
Harry

[ This Message was edited by: worldphoto on 2004-05-12 10:27 ]

[ This Message was edited by: worldphoto on 2004-05-12 12:07 ]
worldphoto

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The eBay link item mentioned above sold for a min. bid of 99 cents. Someone really took a big risk!
Les

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I made mine from scratch I used a 270 micro farad cap of around 100v. The voltage isn't really important as long as its over the rated battery voltage. In my case I used a pair of 9v in series to pump up the volts.

Les

Oh and if I'd gotten that flash, my wife would have pointed out that I paid 800% of the selling price for shipping "Who'd do a such a stupid thing?" :wink:

[ This Message was edited by: Les on 2004-05-19 06:12 ]
Henry

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question for t.r. sanford: is it possible to use the Graflite Jr. with ordinary D (C?) cells? I'd like to acquire the Jr. to complete my Century kit, esp. as I have about 4 dozen #5 and #5B bulbs on hand, but only if it works with off-the-shelf guts (this would be for non-solenoid use, Graphex X-synch shutters).
worldphoto

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old 99 cent ploy doesn't work for me anymore, if it ever did. Not even with the argument of delivery to our door step and not having to travel to the store and back. First question is, what's the total cost?
Harry

Two of my wife's sisters are arriving today from the east coast for a one week visit. That should earn me at least three more buys on eBay. The sacrifices we have to make!
My son tells me....
HAPPY WIFE... HAPPY LIFE!!!

[ This Message was edited by: worldphoto on 2004-05-20 10:43 ]

[ This Message was edited by: worldphoto on 2004-05-22 08:03 ]
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the "Graflite Jr." works with standard "D" cells. Today's manganese alkaline cells ought to work more reliably than the carbon/zinc dry cells of my youth, although those were OK if you made sure to use fresh ones for important jobs, and to polish up the ends before inserting them into the gun.
office888

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battery Capacitor info:

Mine says
---------
+ U.S.. PATS. +
2020408 ET. AL.
MADE IN U.S.A.

MFD VDC
250 25
B33911-P1
----------

It looks like a "C" cell battery and has a wire attached to the "negative" end. The wire attaches to a contact on a steel frame. The Positive end of the 22.5 volt battery touches the steel frame. ALSO, theres a steel frame around the capacitor touching the Negative end of the 22.5 volt battery.

Hope this helps assembling your own!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: