Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

first pix with new crown graphic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PumaAnn

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

took delivery on my crown graphic yesterday---my first LF camera. Managed to figure out the polaroid film holder and took some shots last night. Will try to figure out flash tonight--it came with a bunch of bulbs, etc.
Then outside (once it stops raining) in the daytime.

You can view the first attempt in my portfolio on http://www.photo.net
search under Ann Mester

Comments appreciated.
Anyone have any success using a modern flash?

t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using a modern flash with your "Crown Graphic" should present no difficulties, if the lens is mounted in a shutter that offers X synchronization. Attaching the flash to the camera involves making some choices, which depend on the particular flashgun you want to use. There has been a good deal of discussion on this site, which you might find diverting during an idle half hour.
worldphoto

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ann
I often use a electronic flash with my Crown,of course, using guide numbers. I am lucky that two of my three lenses/shutters for my Crown are equipt with PC connectors. I mount the flash on top of my battery case with a rubber end and shoe mount. You may be able to copy and paste a direct link to your photo on this forum. I'm too lazy to hunt for it.
Harry
Rangemaster

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooking a modern flash up is really pretty easy, as long as you have an X sync, even with the older bi-post cords, I use alot of old electric razor cords I find at the second hand store, and am always raiding the junk box at the local photo store for PC conectors, just a bit of stripping of wires and a little electrical tape and you have a sync cord for less than a buck! whats nice about most large format shutters is they sync at just about any speed.

Dave
Nick

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-05-14 11:39, Rangemaster wrote:
whats nice about most large format shutters is they sync at just about any speed.

If you're like me you set the shutter at 1/400 fire the flash at full power and then get to try and figure out why the negatives came out underexposed. Finally I read my flash manual and found out full power is 1/300. Now I know to use slower shutter speeds if I need full power. Or at least I think that's what happened.

On the guide number issue. If the flash is auto it works just fine in auto mode. I guess some flashes won't have the smaller F/stops but you can fake that by changing the film speed.
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's likely to be more of a problem with large high-voltage flashes than with smaller ones. I vaguely recall that the last Honeywell handlemount "Strobonars," like the "892s," had a flash duration that varied from 1/300 sec. at full power to 1/2500 sec. (or some similar very short duration) when the sensor was cutting off the flash to the greatest extent possible. It's easy enough to forget this, but it is a good reason for selecting 1/200 or 1/250 as your X synch speed.
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the world of Graflex, Ann. I looked at you photo on .net and also left a comment for you there. I think (hope) you will enjoy using this very versatile camera.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: