Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Polaroid P\N film

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bgood

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am wanting to shoot type 55 instant film. I would also like to retain my negs for enlargement. What is the best way to do this if I'm not near a dark room. Can you safely store the negs in a "bucket" of water or sodium sulfite solution for 2 or 3 days? I know what Polaroid says, but wondered if anyone had other experience.

Thanks,
Bruce
RichS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type 55P/N is just a wonderful film and produces a fantastic negative. But I'll relate to you a minor mishap of mine last year.

I took my Spped on vacation for the first time. I shot many 55P/N negatives. I had also just purchased the Polaroid 'bucket' to hold them in. Well, I had those negatives in that bucket for a couple of days. Then things got a bit hectic and we drove home, unpacked, and I found the bucket stashed in the back of the car. I wasn't too worried until I opened it up. There was a bucket full of the clearest acetate sheets you ever saw. Could have used them for clear filters... I wasn't happy...

So, no, I would not recommend you keep them in any solution for more than a day. I've done two with good success. It might also depend on the temperature as gelatin softens as the temp inreases. If you can't get to a bathroom or other safe plce, then just give them the best rinse you can and hang to dry. You could always rewash them later if you had to. But I've done a sink wash & hang dry overnight with no problems before.

Of course the other alternative is to not develop them until you get home. You can easily remove the film packet without the devloping proces, then reinsert it later to process it. The down side to this is you don't get the immediate feedback of the Polaroid in case something went wrong. And you have to be very careful with them so the pod doesn't break, but that's true of new sheets also...

Good luck with your shooting!

bgood

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rich,

Sorry for your loss. That is exactly the kind of thing I was worried about. Were you storing them in plain water or sodium sulfite solution. Polaroid says they're safe in solution up to 72 hours. One more question, do you use any kind of fixer\hardener on your negs for long term storage? The film guide says 'no' but I swear I saw somewhere Polaroid say it's okay, but I can't seem to find that info now.

Thanks for your help,
Bruce
RichS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm pretty sure they were in a water 'washing' bath at the time. When I'm out, I place the neg into a zip-lock sandwich bag, pour in about a half cup of sulfite, then place the bag into a tupperware container. That way when I get back, the negs are clearded and ready for a wash & dry. And I get the oportunity to see if my shot is any good on the spot. The clearing itself only takes a few seconds to see the neg...

I haven't fixed any 55p/n negs yet, but I have seen it recommended several places also. Supposedly there's no archival affect on the neg, it just hardens the geletin layer. Probably a good idea but something I just haven't gotten around to doing...

bgood

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for all the help and all the excellent info on your website. Downloaded the Jiffy Calculator, very cool.

Bruce
RichS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-04-30 09:10, bgood wrote:
Thanks again for all the help and all the excellent info on your website. Downloaded the Jiffy Calculator, very cool.

Bruce

Well, thanks for your comments. Almost 700 downloads of the Jiffycalc and and over 400 downloads of the bellows calculators and I think I've gotten one comment so far... Nice to know someone enjoys this stuff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: