Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3x4 backs,Graflok and Polaroid question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AJDphoto

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking to buy a Super D, possibly a 3x4 version, is there any advantage in getting one and fitting a Graflok back, if this is at all possible anyway. I know on 4x5 Graflok has the distinct advantage of being able to use modern roll film and Pola backs.
Secondly, and I think this has been mentioned on before, is it possible to add Polaroid or 4x5 fitting backs etc. to a 3x4 version, simply for the conenience of course.
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the 3¼X4¼ "Graflok" would help in adapting a Polaroid filmpack back to a "Super D."

I've long pondered the possibility of modifying a camera with a 3¼X4¼ "Graphic" back for this purpose, and the Polaroid "405" back is too wide -- the actual box, not the lightrap-darkslide assembly, which of course is designed for 4X5; I'd take that off and replace it with (perhaps) the analogous part of a 3¼X4¼ "Graphic" filmpack back.

The trouble is that the Polaroid 3¼X4¼ filmpacks and the "405" back are made of plastic, not thin metal, so they're wider than their old wet-process counterparts. The "405" back is 4¼ ins. wide, or a twitch wider. The spacing between the rails of the "Graphic" 3¼X4¼ back (and, thus, the "Graflok" back, which took the same accessories) is about 4 ins.

Since you'd have to rebuild the back anyway, it would be easier to start with a "Graflex" back and modify it.

Les

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need to adapt/modify/machine a Polaroid back to fit a 3x4 Graflex/Graphic camera, nobody produced a 3x4 Polaroid back.

Actually since the Graflex back is slightly wider, it's EASIER to modify for a Polaroid back, But all of my modifications were permanent--ie the camera was now Polaroid only unless you wanted to remove/replace the entire back.

The advantages would be a lightly easier time of finding a 3x4 GRAPHIC roll back instead of a 3x4 GRAFLEX roll back..neither of which have the film flattening pin rollers.

You'll also have an easier time finding 3x4 Graphic film holders, but you won't be able to use the 3x4 bag mags that are common.

No Grafmatic was made for 3x4.
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all of the above fellows
contact me via email at
bsaunders1@bak.rr.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: