Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RB Auto Polaroid back

View previous topic :: View next topic  
artm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I routinely shoot 35mm for work and play; my only experience with Graflex was using a 4x5 Speed Graphic in college photo class.
I recently received an RB Auto Graflex in excellent condition from a friend who owed me 50 bucks. It's got a Polaroid back on it labelled, "Polaroid Land Camera Back Series One Hundred Film Pack Adaptor."
Is this intended for 545/545i film? I tried a 600 film pack, which doesn't fit. From reading posts here I'm confused about whether or not there is any film availble on the market for this holder.
The camera also came with 4x5 film holders that do not fit on the camera. And the actual opening at the camera back measures 3 1/8 x 4 1/8 inches (3x4?). Are film holders and sheet film available out there for this camera? What do I have to do to shoot this thing?
Thanks,
Art Merrill
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a 3 x 4 camera for sure. Does the back of the camera have one sliding and one fixed or two sliding bars that hold the film holder in place? One fixed/one slider=Graflex Back; two sliders=graflok back. Graflex back has a rib on right side (as you hold camera to shoot) of film opening and the holder has the matching valley to form a light trap. Graflok has the valley on the camera and the rib on the holder.
There have been several discussions on 3 x 4 sheet film in this section as well as the Large format section.
There are sheet film holders, and roll film holders for 3 x 4 Graflex backs but are not real common. Try Pacific Rim, Midwest Photo, and Stephen Shuart. Their links are on the main page under the Related Web Sites banner.
Look closely around the view hood opening, the serial number is embossed into the lip on some and just behind the hood on others. If it is a box with the lid hinge on the lens side it is an '07-'15 version, if curved front and lid hinge on film side then its a '16-'41 version.
What lens is on it?
The online RB Graflex camera manual linked in Reflex help will cover the operation of this camera.
Chalres

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2004-02-14 23:35 ]
artm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles,
Thanks for the info. Using your criteria it's a Graflex back (one sliding locking bar). I found the serial number under the lid which, by your description, makes it an "07-15" (does this denote years of manufacture?).
I read some more posts here after posting my query and learned of some possible sources for film holders and 3x4 film. I'm still trying to ascertain whether or not there's any Polaroid-style film available to fit the back (Fujifilm FP-100B?).
The lens is a brass mounted Baush & Lomb-Zeiss Protar f6.8-f45.
Thanks again,
Art
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post the serial number in an age/date of manifacture question in the Reflex Help section of this board. The manifacture date can only be approximated.
and, Yes that's 1907 to 1915, design changed with the 1916 and continued until its end in 1941. Only 3x4 and 4x5 formats were made.

The film pack adaptor that came with the camera is probably from that time period and film for film packs was discontinued in the early 1970's.

The Graflex back on my '09 4x5 was slightly wider than newer Graflex grafmatics. I modified the back to accept the newer Graflex film holders.

Charles

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2004-02-10 19:26 ]

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2004-02-10 19:48 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: