Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graphic View

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westshore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the Graphic View (I or II) compatible with Fuji Quickloads / Kodak Ready load film? I want to jump into a 4x5, but think I would like the dust control and ease of use of this type of film.

Thanks
Nick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's likely a question of which holder you're using and which back your camera has. I think both the Kodak and Fuji holders will fit any spring back so should work just fine with the View. Personally I'd suggest trying out normal film holders. The money you save is an issue but you also get to choose any film you want instead of what Kodak and Fuji decide to put into a holder for you.
RichS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, as I usually suggest, get a Polaroid 545(including the 'I' and 'Pro') holder. That way you can use the ready/quick loads _and_ Polaroid films. And there's nothing that can beat type 55 negatives for B&W. Of course if you're into color, Polaroid falls a bit short...

Westshore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So . . . With the Graphic View I or II, regardless of the back, it will take a polaroid 545 series holder? And then with that 545 series holder I can shoot 4x5 polaroid or use it with the Fuji Quick loads?

As you can see I am very new to all this and for some strange reason the local Ritz camera doesn't deal a lot in these cameras!

Thanks for your help.

Greg
RichS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. And I would recommend either the 545i or 545Pro over an old 545. But many people like the older 545 better because it was mostly metal over the 545i's plastic. The Pro adds a timer with temperature correction for the type of film used. Only good if you actually use Polaroid films, and costs quite a bit more. A second hand on a watch works as well...

If you do a search for "545 quickload readyload" here or on the net in general, you should find quite a few articles and messages discussing using the 545's with that film. A few people don't like it, most do. Due to the extra cost of the film, I've never tried it myself. Standard film holders are very easy to work with and can be had fairly cheap used. But I do use a 545i and 545Pro with Polaroid films.

And in case you're looking to save even more money. The two most common backs on the Views are the Graflok and Graphic (spring). Both will use any standard film holder, the Polaroid holder and Fuli & Kodak holders. The only advantage to a Graflok back would be if you wanted to use a roll film holder. And that can be done with a spring back by using the Calumet CN roll holder that slides in like any other holder.

There would be some minor other advantages to a Graflok, but not in normal use. For example, there is a split back. It does two 2 1/2 x 4 exposures on a single negative.
A disadvantage to a spring back is that it's difficult to use a Grafmatic holder. These hold 6 sheets of film per 'load'. They can be used in spring backs, but it's tight...

Then, there was a Graflex back made for the View. It's a rare beast (I'm still trying to find one!) and not compatible with any current holders.

I would recommend doing some reading here about the cameras and accessories, some searching on the net for specifics, and then ask any questions you can't find the answers to. There's a wealth of info buried in these forums...

worldphoto

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rich
Very informative comments! You have me rethinking the Polaroid backs. I still have my 500 that I bought in the 70's along with my Crown. That 545Pro sounds real good.
I have one of the latest Calumet C2N's but now they've dropped the Calumet name and only call it a Cambo C2N. (This is on the later models). Calumet does carry a stainless steel darkslide that's great for the 6x7.
Harry
RichS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a '23' roll back and didn't like having to remove the view panel to use it. So I bought a Calumet C2(with or without an 'N'?) thinking I would use that... Never did. Somehow I just can't see using roll film when it's just as easy to shoot 4x5... The Calumet/Cambo holders are nice though and maybe someday I'll use it?

The 545Pro is nice. But it's bigger and heavier than the 545i and it's got a problem, or mine does anyway. I may get this wrong Let's see... Operationally, it's perfect. It's the timer that is a pain. It starts as soon as the lever is moved to Process and the button is pushed. So it doesn't leave any time for anything else. Swing the lever and pull the film... And it gets confused when I push the sleeve back in. It sometimes thinks it's getting a new sheet of film. I did buy it used though... And it works good enough for me and I like it better than the 'i' model which is my backup now...

The 500 still works with Polaroid film, but it doesn't stop the sleeve from coming all the way out. I don't think it's supposed to work with the quick/ready loads though?

Someday I'll have to buy a box of that film just to see it work. But the cost!.... Not that polaroid film is cheap either. But at least it's fun!

Nick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason I want a roll back is because of the cost of colour sheet film. If I could get reasonable priced C-41 film I think I would stop thinking of a roll film back. OTOH I don't want one enough to pay alot for a roll back. Sounds like I'll be living without a rollback-)))
RichS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing wrong with wanting one, or even using one if that's what the user wants

Since I don't shoot color, I have little incentive to do roll film, plus I still have my Mamiya C330 for that if I get the urge.

But you can pick up a working C2 for under $75 if you watch & wait. It probably wouldn't take too many rolls to make up for the cost of it?

One ting you also have to consider. A "normal" lens for 4x5 ranges from 127 (for people like me) through 135 to 150-165mm. A "normal" lens for 2x3 is more like 80 to 90mm. Now if you think about it, to shoot a 'normal' focal length shot you'd use the 127-165mm and get a 'normal' photo. To duplicate that with the roll back, you'd have to switch to a 65-90mm lens. Just for 'normal'. It works, but you can forget wide angle... Although it's fun with long lenses

Nick

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't shoot much color either. That's the problem. I can't get too excited over finding cheap color sheet film or about finding the roll back. Every so often I keep an eye out for a rollback but then I decide I don't really want it. For some reason color slide film is widely available out of date. But I don't want slides either-)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> View Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: