Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two-cell "Graflite" flashguns

View previous topic :: View next topic  
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An earlier post sent me to the online source for a "Graflite" manual and, as "Sid" observed, it makes good reading. I used the three-cell guns in the '60s and '70s, never with solenoid synch but often with the solenoid used as a remote release, and I thought I understood them. The manual suggests that I need to spend some time with a voltmeter and a couple of lengths of zipcord, before I can make that claim!

I bought a used "Century" in 1960, and it came with a two-cell gun. As I was using the three-cell model, with the built-in switch, on a 4X5 owned by the college publications photo department, I naturally wondered whether Graflex made a two-cell model with that switch. The dealer told me that this was not done, because two D-cells would be problematical as power sources for a solenoid. I can't quite determine, from the manual, whether he was telling me the truth; one of the illustrations looks a whole lot like a two-cell gun with the full complement of controls at the top.

Has anybody seen a two-cell gun with a switch?
sobahguy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi T.R.,

Regarding the 2-cell Graflites, I believe there were 2 different variations, someone else can correct me if my memory is failing.

I know one such variation was the Cat# 2772 since I have and use this model. This one has the same 5 outlets (extension,shutter,battery,solenoid & remote) and also the same red button/microswitch arrangement that the Cat# 2773 3-cell Graflite has.

The other 2-cell version (i'm uncertain of Cat# not being at home right now) was called a "GRAFLITE,JR" which is stamped around the tube itself. As I recall, this model only has 2 or 3 out of the usual 5 outlets around the top, and I don't believe it can be used with a solenoid, due to the absence of a "solenoid" outlet. Neither does the "JR" model have a red button arrangement like the #2772. I also think that the "JR" model can only be used to fire a bulb using an input cord to either the "shutter" or "extension" outlets.

Regarding using a solenoid with a 2-cell Graflite, it is possible but you must make sure that the solenoid was intended for use with a 2-cell flashgun. On the lower body of the solenoid just above the 2 holes is a stamped name which will say either "GRAFLEX 2" or "GRAFLEX 3" -- These numbers refer to the # of cells being used, hence you need a #2 solenoid when using a 2-cell gun, and you need a #3 when using a 3-cell gun.

I think all of this has been discussed in previous posts as well, so you could utilize the Help Board search function. For example, see this thread from earlier this year for additional info:

http://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?topic=991&forum=7

Hope this helps.

[ This Message was edited by: sobahguy on 2004-01-12 09:21 ]
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you're right, and what I have is a "Graflite Jr." -- the sockets are just as you describe them.

Your note on solenoids is tempting to think about. I have wondered whether a current-production solenoid could be fitted back to a large-format camera, but nothing I've seen will work on less than six volts (admittedly, I haven't spent a lot of time inquiring, just looking through surplus/salvage catalogs and listings over the years).

Were the "2" and "3" specifications necessary because a "3" solenoid used with two cells would pull in too slowly to synchronize correctly, or would it not pull in with enough force to trip the shutter at all?

If a "2" solenoid were used with a three-cell gun, would its actuation be too fast for correct synchronization, or would you burn out the coil?

I shall do the search you recommend. The threads usually are fascinating and educational, even if they don't bear directly on what one is trying to find out!
sobahguy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,

A quick search yields this thread, which is one that I remembered:

http://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?topic=1229&forum=10

I use a 3-cell Graflite with my Crown and have it set up with #3 solenoid. Fred Lustig set it up properly for me. My lens board originally had a #2 solenoid on it and he swapped it with a #3 because he said it would trip too fast. With fresh batteries and all electrical contacts clean inside the flashgun and on the sync cords, the delay with my solenoid is exactly 20 milliseconds to fire bulbs, even though my Rapax does have internal built-in sync. So the solenoid does work well with the correct delay, even if I set the shutter sync selector to "off"
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the search reference. The thread is, as I'd surmised, very interesting indeed. However, it does leave one wondering about the difference, if any, between the "2" and "3" (and "0") solenoids.

I like the solenoid very much for remote release of the shutter, and Fred Lustig installed one on my miniature "Speed" a couple of years ago. I do hope he recovers and resumes his incomparable repair activities.

I used flashbulbs, always with an M synched shutter, for many years, and I'm not real eager to go back to them! But it's good to know that sources for bulbs are being located. When you need a #3 to light up a large scene, nothing else will do, except perhaps a tactical nuclear weapon...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: