Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ansco 130/GAF Universal Developer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paxety

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in 1968 I bought my first darkroom kit - it came with a can of GAF Universal Developer, which I understand is the same as Ansco 130. Following the instructions, I mixed a stock solution, then used one dilution for film and another for paper.

I have a formula for this developer and would like to try it again.

I can find a lot of information for using this developer with paper, but almost nothing about using it with film. Does anyone remember it, or have any information?

Thanks,
j.e.simmons
Les

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. My 1946 Photo Lab Index shows Ansco 130 as a paper developer.

Maybe GAF tweaked it as a film devloper?
Nick

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use dilute paper developer for film. It's rarely the best choice but it's possible. I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is one of those things you need to test for yourself.
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lots of old literature on Ansco (Agfa) chemistry. Nothing is mentioned about using 130 for film. It is listed as a "Universal Paper Developer". The GAF formula may have actually been similar to Agfa 125, which is a do everything developer. A simple metol - hydroquinone formula not unlike dozens of others from that era. I will look for the GAf formula. I may have it somewhere in all this junk.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
paxety

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, that's interesting. My Agfa book from 1935 lists 125 as a developer for bromide paper (particularly Brovira.) My Photo Lab Index from 1963 lists it as a developer for all papers and for roll and sheet film when brilliant negatives are desired. Maybe this is what GAF sold as Universal Developer. Does anyone have a Photo Lab Index from the late 60s-early 70s?

If anyone wants the formula, I'll be posting it on my website within the week. http://simmonsphotos.com
j

[ This Message was edited by: paxety on 2004-01-03 10:44 ]
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Photo Lab Index from 1965 with some updates to '68. When they say brilliant negatives, they mean higer contrast. As an interesting aside, Kodak D-72 (the original Dektol formula) was a favorite film developer of many photogs of yore.

Micah in NC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn,

Hi. I just wondered, how does the modern Dektol formula compare to the original if used for film developing?

I use Dektol for developing prints, but haven't tried neither old nor new for film...

Thanks,
Micah in NC
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micah, I can't be of much help with that question. Kodak used to publish their formulas and D-72 was one of those. Though I have read about and seen examples of prints from film developed in D-72, I have never seen any times published, nor have I used it myself. It would be experimental.
Dektol is a proprietary formula which has evolved over the years. Not quite the same as the original D-72 and unpublished. I have used Dektol quite a bit for Lith film and Fine Grain Release Positive film but not for regular continuous tone film. The answer would lie in trial and error testing.

Les

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't comment on the old vs new, but back in the old days at the newspaper we used to soup tri-x in Dektol. I think it was 1:2 for 5 minutes.

The grain was noticeable, certainly more that d76 straight, but the image was sharp.

Under low light conditions we had to use Recording film (asa 1000) and when run through dektol gave "golfball size grain" as we used to call it. An iteresting effect if you like it, for us it didn't matter because the paper was running a 50 dpi line screen.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: