Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

baby Busch Pressman 2 1/4 x 3 1/4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrankS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got this little beauty (I already have a Speed Graphic 4x5). Wondering if a roll film back was made for it. It has a spring back. You guys would know. (I did a Google search and found this question asked, and found it answered yes and no.)

clnfrd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought my 2X3 Busch Pressman a couple of years ago, it came with an Adapta-roll 620 roll film holder. The screws that secure the spring back had been replaced with hex-head screws with tapped holes in their centers. Thus, you could unscrew the hex-heads, remove the GG back...replace the tapped hex-heads and secure the Adapta-roll with a clamp and two thumb-screws screwed into the tapped holes in the hex-heads. The Adapta-roll could also be used by slipping it under the spring back, since it isn't much thicker than a film holder. One had to be careful using it this way, because its weight could cause light leaks if the springs were weak. Fred.
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one that I made a couple of clamps for that hold a Suydam roll holder with the focus panel removed. I leave it on all the time. The nice thing about this holder is it has masks and ruby windows for 3 different formats (6X9, 6X6, 6X4.5). My Kalart range finder is tuned to perfection so I have no need to ever take it off for my purposes. The Adapt-a-Roll is a good option but uses 620 film spools. You know what that means. Re-spooling. As mentioned, spring tension could be an issue. I have 3 of these cameras and the springs on all of them are none too hefty. If I were to use the Adapt-a-Roll as a slide in holder, I would definitely double up on the springs. With the focus panel removed and a bit of imagination you can mount any Graflex or RB-67 holder, also.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-01-03 19:45, glennfromwy wrote:
I have one that I made a couple of clamps for that hold a Suydam roll holder with the focus panel removed. I leave it on all the time. The nice thing about this holder is it has masks and ruby windows for 3 different formats (6X9, 6X6, 6X4.5). My Kalart range finder is tuned to perfection so I have no need to ever take it off for my purposes. The Adapt-a-Roll is a good option but uses 620 film spools. You know what that means. Re-spooling. As mentioned, spring tension could be an issue. I have 3 of these cameras and the springs on all of them are none too hefty. If I were to use the Adapt-a-Roll as a slide in holder, I would definitely double up on the springs. With the focus panel removed and a bit of imagination you can mount any Graflex or RB-67 holder, also.

Glenn, that's all good news and advice BUT the Adapt-A-Roll feeds very well from a 120 spool. It has to take up on a 620 spool, so if you send film out for processing and don't have a large stock of 620 spools you'll have to respool from the take up. That's what changing bags are for.

Cheers,

Dan
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also feed from 120 film in the Adapta-roll to a 620 spool. I put a piece of masking tape over the large holes in the 120 film spool and punch tiny holes in the center. This gives a modicum of back- tension. I process my own and recycle the 620 take-up spools. Fred.
FrankS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys for your replies. About how much can I expect to pay for an Adapta-roll unit? Can anyone post a picture of one so I know what it looks like?

Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-01-04 08:21, FrankS wrote:
Thank you guys for your replies. About how much can I expect to pay for an Adapta-roll unit? Can anyone post a picture of one so I know what it looks like?

Frank, the more we tell people about Adapt-A-Rolls the higher prices go. If we were smart, we'd all have kept mum.

2x3s used to cost $25-35, and I once snagged a 3x4 for all of $5, but now 2x3s go for $60-100 on eBay. If you decide to get one, you'll just have to take your chances.

Pictures? I'm not sure whether there's one on this site. I'd swear there are a couple of sites in with photos, try a google search.
Henry

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/adapt-a-roll.html

(Hey, Dan: at the bottom of the page on this link, you're listed as a contributor! Don't tell me you're too modest to take credit 8=)

[ This Message was edited by: Henry on 2004-01-04 12:16 ]
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-01-04 12:08, Henry wrote:
http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/adapt-a-roll.html

(Hey, Dan: at the bottom of the page on this link, you're listed as a contributor! Don't tell me you're too modest to take credit 8=)

[ This Message was edited by: Henry on 2004-01-04 12:16 ]
Henry, having written the first draft entitles me to pay the going rate for a cup of coffee. And everything else too.

Cheers,

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: